intel pro/1000 network chip on mobo not working (intel d2700mud atom mobo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habi

Dabbler
Having problems with my new mobo to get network card working. I just switched the mobo and everything else is the same old (old config still on the usb installation which is also the same)

I get this on freenas and64 8.3.0:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.3.2> port 0x2000-0x201f mem 0xd1300000-0xd131ffff,0xd1200000-0xd12ffffff,0xd1320000-0xd1323fff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
em0: Using an MSI interrupt
em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
device_attach: em0 attach returned 5

i found this guy on freebsd with the exactly the same problem but i tried flashing my card and int went OK but in freenas the issue persists.

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=51404.0

i tried:

bootutil -nic=1 -up=PXE -FE -WOLE
and it booted and flashed the card
I have also flashed newest intel bios before that but nothing changes. (i also have PXE enabled in bios)

Atleast now in bootutil it says that flash firmware is PXE version 1.5.01 (intel(R) Boot Agent GE?)

Does anybody know if the drivers are still to old in freenas for my built in intel atom nic (d2700mud)?

If so, does the ones (intel site link below) in freebsd 9 work in the older freenas? Any help appreciated i dont want to screw things up more than i have to...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17509

habi

Dabbler
Tried freebsd usb livecd 9.1-release-amd64 but the same errors appear.

So its got to be a bios/firmware bug or something.... or im doing something wrong with bootutil

Ive hever used bootitul beforebut dont understand if i can chose/should chose some other image for my nic?!?! There are some uefi type flashes that come listed but have no clue what i should try now.

habi

Dabbler
i found this by searching the net but obviously he is not suffering from my problems (other mobo), but are there any tunables that i need to try? I tried to look at the topic of tunables but have not found any kind of documentation about the parameters and what you could try to use in /boot/sysctls.com. I hope i can get some input on this here.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2011-March/034695.html

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 6.9.6> port 0xcf80-0xcf9f mem 0xfa5e0000-0xfa5fffff,0xfa5dc000-0xfa5dffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci3
em0: Using MSIX interrupts
em0: em_flow_control_tunable is: 0 and em_flow_control_sysctl is 0
em0: Disabling hardware flow control

habi

Dabbler
Starting to be a little bit monologic by now but i called Intel and they were pretty surprised they hade freebsd drivers for download on their site ;-P

It looks though that my embedded controller is:
10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet LAN subsystem using an Intel ® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

And on the intel site only(Without the L):

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.
Intel® 82574 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't be too worried about the download. The drivers are built into FreeNAS and should work. I'm not convinced that the problem is with your NIC to be honest. I think that the problem is something that should happen immediately after the NIC loads, but you aren't getting an output because the system freezes before any text is output to the screen.

I'd say if a BIOS update didn't fix the problem there's a high degree of probability that you won't be able to get it to work. Not all hardware is compatible with FreeBSD. If a BIOS update doesn't help and disabling unneeded features in the BIOS won't fix it then you likely won't be able to use FreeNAS with that board.

I know my D2500CCE uses the same NIC and it does work fine with FreeBSD 8. I'm using pfsense on it. But because of a bug in the on-board video card I cannot use any 64-bit version of FreeBSD or any OS based on the 64-bit version of FreeBSD 8.x or 9.x. :(

If you really want to troubleshoot(no guarantee you will be able to fix it) then you should look for other people that are using FreeBSD 8.3 with your board.

habi

Dabbler
Im using amd64 version. I put in a pci videocard to go around the video problem everything else works flawless except the intel gigaethernet nic (embedded)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you sure the NIC is good? Honestly, I find it very unlikely that your Intel NIC doesn't work with FreeBSD. Of all of the vendors out there Intel has the absolute best driver support and performance in the networking department.

Have you tried using FreeBSD 8.3, FreeBSD 9.1, or even trying Windows or Linux to see if you can get the NIC to work fine?

As I said.. my board has 2 of those 82574L NICs and both work just fine in FreeBSD 8.3 as well as pfsense.

habi

Dabbler
I wouldn't be too worried about the download. The drivers are built into FreeNAS and should work. I'm not convinced that the problem is with your NIC to be honest. I think that the problem is something that should happen immediately after the NIC loads, but you aren't getting an output because the system freezes before any text is output to the screen.

If you really want to troubleshoot(no guarantee you will be able to fix it) then you should look for other people that are using FreeBSD 8.3 with your board.

The machine doesnt freeze in anyway! Everything works perfectly now except the gigE nic (i have a pci video card to circumvent the video problems). Even the micoPCIe sata controller (comell) seems to work OK (well i havent had any problems with it on mac os x). If i try to configure networking it just says i dont have any hardware for it...

I found this thread in FreeBSD forum that somebody has gotten the nic on my board to work but i havent gotten any news for what it would have been:

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31270

habi

Dabbler
Well the nic is embedded on the mobo. And as sais everything works except the nic. But i dont know if you can turn off that hardware flow control or that checksum checking.

I hear you on the driver support, thats what i said to the intel rep on the phone and he was like we dont support linux and bsd. After i referenced him on the intel download driver page for freeBSD he thought that since the chipset didnt have that letter L in supported sets that ment that there maybe wasnt any support but he would try to check further.

By the way it doesnt freeze the system or anything like that i just cant configure any network adapters.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Gee.. I wonder who "habi" is that posted to the FreeBSD forum.

Well have you tried any other OSes like I mentioned above? If it doesn't work on Windows 7 then it clearly must be broken. I'm really thinking your NIC is broken or something. The flow control can be set from the command line when the interface is online. As for the eeprom checksum that sounds like broken hardware. Basically the NIC knows its own eeprom is corrupted so its not working. I'd bet that your NIC won't work with any OS if the eeprom is actually bad.

I forgot your problem isn't freezing. Getting this thread confused with another.

habi

Dabbler
I tried ubuntu and it doesnt work there either. I will try an winblows installation just to be shure (ouch that hurts, i havent installed windows in 8 years now)

habi

Dabbler
Case solved. The new mobo has a non operational nic. windows says the device cant start (code 10), and rebooting nor anything else seems to help. What a bunch of crap from intel. how on earth did they even bother to produce this crap. This is the second board i have (the first wouldnt even come on). End of mystery, and wait for a boardchange again to see what is wrong with the next piece.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, makes alot of sense.

Did you notice that both of your posts to the FreeBSD forum were edited by Moderators because you didn't follow their forum rules? They don't joke around over there at all and they have no qualms about banning repeat offenders for not following their forum rules. Not to mention that their forum rules are quite strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.