Importing 'Tank1' gives me KDB : PANIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

usafitz

Cadet
Hey all, good evening! I'm new to the forum, but am excited to be here. I have been using FreeNAS for a little over a year, and am just having my first major problem. Looking forward to hearing if you have any suggestions. I know this problem has been encountered before, but I haven't seen any posts with definite solutions. So here goes:

I did an upgrade to FreeNAS from a remote location over SSH... I broke my rule of always doing upgrades on site. After the reboot, I was unable to connect. When I finall got home and checked out the server, it had a "KDB : enter : panic" message staring at me. Each reboot did the same thing.

So I used troubleshooting 101 and did the 50-50 method. Reloaded the FreeNAS installation, then went to import my Tanks. Tank2 will import fine every time and allow reboots. Tank1, however, will invoke the panic error every time. Therefore, I've narrowed it down to being Tank2. I've tried zpool import and all of the other suggestions for shell commands that I've seen through the forum. When I force the import with 'zpool import -f Tank1' it will invoke the error.

I'll post a pic with this topic.

Does anyone have any recovery options for mounting this Tank1 pool and getting my data?

thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 388

rs225

Guru
You can try zpool import -f -o readonly=on Tank1

A less likely possibility is to use your prior version of FreeNAS to see if it doesn't panic on import.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Work has just been done to allow more damaged pools to import, to the possible extent. I'm not sure which branch of FreeBSD that is on, but it should be easy to find out.

This would also be a good time to tell us more about your system, since we know close to nothing about it.

D

dlavigne

Work has just been done to allow more damaged pools to import, to the possible extent. I'm not sure which branch of FreeBSD that is on, but it should be easy to find out.

Notes that this has been merged into the Nightlies (so will be available beginning with 11.2-BETA1).

usafitz

Cadet
You can try zpool import -f -o readonly=on Tank1

A less likely possibility is to use your prior version of FreeNAS to see if it doesn't panic on import.

Sorry for the late response. We had a death in the family, so I have been tending to that.

The zpool command you suggested also enduced the panic. Also, I have tried earlier versions of FreeNAS to see if that would work, but no luck.

My system is an ASUS mother board with the Gen8 Intel i5 (6-core) and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. The raid goes through the mother board, and the Tank1 pool is with two 4TB western digital hard drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd suggest installing the latest nightly to new media. Try to import your pool from there.

usafitz

Cadet
No joy with the fresh install amongst several different servers. It's definitely the importing of the volume that creates the panic.

Someone mentioned trying other operating systems to import the volume. Has anyone tried this before?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeBSD has all the latest improvements in terms of pool imports, so it's still probably your best bet, in the form of the FreeNAS nightlies.

Try detaching the disks and then booting. Then, be sure to capture what's going on and try to import the pool from the CLI, so that we have a chance of catching interesting messages.

usafitz

Cadet

Try detaching the disks and then booting. Then, be sure to capture what's going on and try to import the pool from the CLI, so that we have a chance of catching interesting messages.

Thanks. I will give this a shot tonight.

Are you suggesting the CLI within the webpage GUI, or to attach a monitor and a keyboard to do it? I am fine with either and am not new to CLI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usafitz

Cadet
Just tried 11.2 with no luck. Exactly the same thing happened. I’ll try 11.0 next (I was on 11.4)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you suggesting the CLI within the webpage GUI, or to attach a monitor and a keyboard to do it? I am fine with either and am not new to CLI.
Serial over LAN of the local console via SSH is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.