"Import Volumes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Strangely, I replied yesterday morning, but it's not here.

So what's the odds of 2 disks failing in short order? It depends. If you setup FreeNAS, then never checked your disk status again for a year there's a very good chance one disk started failing months ago and you didn't know. This scenario has occurred to many people that build the server and then don't touch it again. Everything is fine until you lose enough redundancy, then it's game over and the server owner is left crying and upset because he lost his irreplaceable data and had no backup.

Here's what I'm getting from the command outputs...

zpool import being blank - there is no zpool data on any of the disks the system is mounting(or the zpool metadata is corrupted beyond recognition)...currently only 1 disk, ada0
gpart status - Your GPT partitions are good, but again, currently only 1 disk, ada0(da0 is your USB stick)
zpool status - No mounted pools (duh?)
camcontrol devlist - only 1 disk was detected by the system aside from your USB stick

I tend to think there's a more complex situation than what you may think/believe.

If the 2TB drive had been part of a zpool then the zpool import command would have shown something, even a broken and unmountable pool. It didn't. So I tend to think that the 2TB had no zpool, the zpool was deleted at some point in the past, or the zpool metadata is corrupted beyond the point of it being recognized as a zpool device.

Considering that only 1 disk is detected I tend to think that the other disk is failed since you said that the system has been in use for a while. Based on the output from the other commands it looks like your 1TB had all of your data and the 2TB disk was just using electricity but doing nothing useful for you.

You can try contacting one of those data recovery pros, and for a few thousand dollars they may be able to replace your disk's components and mail you back the drive so you can mount the zpool again. If they won't mail you back a "working disk" with the same platters you have almost no recovery chance whatsoever. Nobody does ZFS recovery except for very large sums of money (think $10k+) and nobody has documented actual data recovery paying for it.

To be quite honest, I think your data is done for. I don't even have ideas for commands to run to help recover your data because there are no zpools available to the system(if there had been then a zpool import would have shown the pools). Generally the problem with ZFS is finding enough disks to mount all of the vdevs or corruption causing the zpool to be unmountable. In your case you have no zpools identified.. at all.

Also, your custom tuning(in particular kmem size) should never have been done. You got a warning that it wasn't recommended, and you should have heeded that warning. I don't have solid evidence that it is the reason for your problems, but when you start getting warnings from the kernel, those are things that shouldn't be ignored unless you are a FreeBSD expert. It could be that you starved your system and it caused corruption leading to your current situation. I just don't know.

ZFS recommends 6GB minimum, which you definitely don't have more than 4GB since you are choosing to use the x86 version.

Overall, lots of reasons why the entire design was a bad choice... insufficient hardware, improper tuning, and you don't appear to have utilized any redundancy available with ZFS on FreeNAS.

Sorry, but I got no further ideas for you. :(

paleoN

Wizard
gpart status: same output as above
Better command is gpart show. First configure & turn on SSH, connect to it with putty and then run the following:
Code:
gpart show

zdb -l /dev/ada0p2

lyle

Contributor
Hi, Cyberjock. Thanks for the extensive reply!

Just for clarification, I took out the second drive (1TB) altogether once I started troubleshooting. The more critical info is on the 2TB drive and I thought removing the second drive might simplify troubleshooting. Does that at all change your opinion of the zpool output? The 2TB was never used in conjunction with the (disconnected) 1TB drive, they were always independent. The 1TB was never really used much, not a lot of data, just there as a spare for expansion when/if I ever filled up the 2TB.

Regarding the custom tuning- I certainly never did this, at least not on purpose. I wonder if I do a fresh install if that would help clear this error?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be completely honest, and its not personal, I typically consider the information from the user helpful only in that it validates the order of what happened. In your case, the output of the commands tells me that something is not right about your setup. Somewhere, something is horribly wrong. Either it wasn't setup properly to begin with, someone changed it on purpose, or someone made an error at some point. The 2TB drive looks like it may have been used in some capacity in the past, but I can't guess what since 99% of the drive isn't partitioned. If you knew exactly what parameters your partition was and you create the partition manually you have a chance at seeing what "was" on the disk. It may be old, and it may not even work.

As for the 1TB drive, I don't know what is going on. The system just isn't detecting it. Could be bad power cable, SATA cable, not plugged into the motherboard, bad hard drive etc. The bottom line is that right now you have a 1TB drive that isn't being detected by your computer and a 2TB drive that isn't partitioned so it has no useful data.

lyle

Contributor
Update-

Well, that got me thinking. So I just tried taking out the 2TB and putting in the 1TB. The 1TB is not recognized in the BIOS. Tried different sata ports, tried swapping the cables, nothing. This disk is definitely a goner.

The more important data is on the 2TB. It is recognized by the BIOS and Freenas. But maybe I can infer from Cyberjocks reply that these two were matched somehow by Freenas without me knowing it? Even though they were setup completely independently Freenas is still looking for both? One can't live when his brother dies?

OK, well I'm going to try a completely fresh install of Freenas (ie., not an upgrade as I did earlier) and see what happens. Wish me luck!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, that got me thinking. So I just tried taking out the 2TB and putting in the 1TB. The 1TB is not recognized in the BIOS. Tried different sata ports, tried swapping the cables, nothing. This disk is definitely a goner.

I agree.. figured that out when the camcontrol devlist didn't show it in post #4

The more important data is on the 2TB. It is recognized by the BIOS and Freenas. But maybe I can infer from Cyberjocks reply that these two were matched somehow by Freenas without me knowing it? Even though they were setup completely independently Freenas is still looking for both? One can't live when his brother dies?

OK, well I'm going to try a completely fresh install of Freenas (ie., not an upgrade as I did earlier) and see what happens. Wish me luck!

A zpool import should list any disks that should have a pool regardless of how many disks are missing and/or available. The fact that it returns none is clear. There is roughly 2.9TB of disk space that isn't partitioned. While you can create a zpool using unpartitioned space FreeNAS doesn't do that. Since zpool import returns no pools in any status thats kind of a sign that it doesn't see anything on any drive that resembles a zpool or even a part of a broken zpool.

As far as I can think you have 2 options:

1. You can try paleoN's command. If it works it'll be a very odd situation(one that I don't even know how to recover from).

2. If that doesn't do anything you will need to find a way to reproduce the exact partition you had on the drive before, assuming there was one.

Other than that, I got nothing. I don't know how you'd either recover if paleoN's command works or how you'd reproduce the exact partition parameters you "had" when you had a zpool. It's just borked.

lyle

Contributor
oops, sorry about that. I posted before I read your last response.
OK, I am slowly coming to terms with my grief. I think I'll go source a better rig and then start from scratch. Waaahhhhhh!

lyle

Contributor
Well, the reason it didn't show up in post #4 is because I had disconnected it. Thanks for all the time you spent trying to help me.

BTW, since I upgraded to 8.3, the left hand menu tree in the gui is gone. Have you heard of this?

gpsguy

If you did an upgrade, try a fresh install on a new 4-8Gb flash drive.

lyle

Contributor
OK, just did that. Brand new, brand name, 8gb usb drive. Fresh install. Still no left hand menu tree.

warri

Guru
Which Browser are you using? The GUI has problems with IE, and sometimes even Chrome/FF. I'd suggest trying all of them.
Also try to clear the browser cache / try in incognito mode.

lyle

Contributor
Hi. I just upgraded the whole system today to 64bit architecture and 4GB RAM. All new components. Still won't show the left hand menu tree in IE10.

Tried warri's suggestion and open in Chrome....no problem, left hand menu is there! (Thank you, warri!!)

This is very inconvenient. I've been running 8.0 for a couple years and never had this issue. I assume it is a known issue with possible future fix?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's a known issue with IE10. LOL.

I'd say if you want it fixed you should contact Microsoft. They're world renowned for making their browser do screwed up things and expecting the internet to change for them. Well, guess what. In this world the door swings both ways, and Microsoft can bite off with their "we own all" attitude. :)

lyle

Contributor
Except that IE10 and Freenas 8.0 played nicely together. For me anyway....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I remember a few people had problems with IE10 right after the RTM version was released, but before it was included as a Windows Update. The recommended browser is Firefox, but someone just a few days ago had problems with Firefox and found that Chrome worked. Others have had problems with Chrome, but Firefox worked.

Browsers aren't as static as people might want to believe. Thanks to plugins, addons, etc. its quite easy for a plugin to trash FreeNAS' GUI. The only advice I can give is to try something besides what you are currently using. :(

lyle

Contributor
I'm baaaaaccck.... <<<sigh>>> I bought a brand new rig yesterday, including 4GB RAM, 2x 2TB drives. Hooked up my first ever RAID mirror (I was quite proud of myself). Worked fantastic for about 24 hours, then tonight I came home to a locked up nas with this screen:

error.jpg

I was devastated! I manually shutdown the puter, turned it back on and it is working perfectly fine now. However I am back to mistrusting my nas!

The guy at the store was trying to talk me into Home Server for $60. Am I too much of a noob to handle freenas?? :(

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
if you have a hardware issue, Windows Home Server certainly isnt going to do anything for you. I don't understand this 'noob' thing either. FreeNAS doesn't take many braincells to operate. ;)

you mention 'RAID Mirror'. you using ZFS?

lyle

Contributor
Yes, zfs.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You do realize that ZFS needs 8GB of RAM minimum..... its in the manual and covered in the forum about 500 times :P

Status
Not open for further replies.