9.3 to 9.10 upgrade broke one of my Arrays/Volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Dabbler
I was hesitant about upgrading again using the GUI based on past failures, but didn't see a lot of issues so I tried it. And go bit again. Very irritated.
Upgrade said it was successful and system rebooted.
First time it came up it gave me an error on my VMFS-1 volume. /mnt/FNVMFS1. 0 (Error) Error getting Available space. Unknown Status
Errors are critical:
  • CRITICAL: Jan. 13, 2017, 4:36 p.m. - The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

• CRITICAL: Jan. 13, 2017, 4:36 p.m. - Update failed. Check /data/update.failed for further details.

• CRITICAL: Jan. 13, 2017, 4:36 p.m. - The volume FNVMFS1 (ZFS) state is UNKNOWN:
I've rebooted twice, no resolution.

Clicking on volume manager yields:
Volume Manager
{"message": "Error: no such column: services_iscsitargetextent.iscsi_target_extent_legacy", "error": true, "events": []}

There are no disks to import.
There are no ZFS volumes to import.
If I view disks, it doesn't see 3 of my disks now:
upload_2017-1-13_16-40-14.png

Any ideas how to resolve and get back my disks?

System Specs:

Lenovo IdeaCentre
Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70
8Gb RAM
Booting from SD Card
Build is showing FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)

2 - 2 Tb Disk configured as /mnt/FNVMFS0 Volume zfs
3 - 1 Tb Disk configured as /mnt/FNVMFS1 Volume zfs

2 initiators defined - 1 2
2 targets defined - freenastg0 freenstg1

FNVMFS0 is nominal
FNVMFS1 is critical, missing

Message on console is:
freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtre:255] failed to generate navtree for app freenasUI.services:no such column:services_iscsitargetextent.iscsi_target_extent_legacy

Last edited:

James L

Dabbler
Looks like something is wrong with iSCSI?

I get errors when trying to view targets, or view any iSCSI settings.

{"message": "Error: no such column: services_iscsitargetglobalconfiguration.iscsi_alua", "error": true, "events": []}

James L

Dabbler
I think I'm tired of this product. Everytime I do an upgrade it destroys my system and I have to rebuild from scratch.

I should have known better than try and upgrade.

I tried doing a CD Upgrade - fail

Oh well, lesson learned for good now.

maglin

Patron
Rool back to the 9.3 environment in the boot settings. If what you say is true it should be working fine again.

I have a feeling you might have some hardware issues.

Did you also update your HBA drivers for da1-3 disks HBA? If it's LSI should be on P20 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James L

Dabbler
I guess I would ask why the HBA drivers that are needed are not in the 9.10 distribution? They worked in 9.3.

If they are needed, where are they and the instructions?

Thought FreeNAS was self-contained distribution.

maglin

Patron
So you have those 3 disks on a HBA card then? I ask because they are da0-2 and not ada which is almost always on a HBA.

If that is the case you have to configure your own hardware. You flash the HBA. If FN flashed hardware I'm sure people would run away. I'm on mobile. If those three drives are not on a HBA you might need to reset your BIOS and reconfigure your bios setting.

I've only messed with ISCSI and don't use it so I can't help you in that regard. Plus ISCSI is not for most people and those that need it know how to set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Kind of seems like you have a hardware problem. Updates don't touch your pool so it's really hard for it to break stuff. Try to roll back and see if everything starts working. If it does than its probably not a hardware problem. Usually all the problems people have come from stuff that was broken and a reboot causes it to not start back up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

James L

Dabbler
I know how to setup iSCSI. It was all working perfectly until I did the GUI update. Which broke it.
I'll reinstall 9.3 from CD and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, I'll try NAS4Free to see if it's more stable between updates.

BTW, my hardware is all SATA. 2 Local attached SATA drives and 4 drives attached in an eSATA enclosure from Mediasonic which as I said worked flawlessly before the update.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I know how to setup iSCSI. It was all working perfectly until I did the GUI update. Which broke it.
I'll reinstall 9.3 from CD and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, I'll try NAS4Free to see if it's more stable between updates.

BTW, my hardware is all SATA. 2 Local attached SATA drives and 4 drives attached in an eSATA enclosure from Mediasonic which as I said worked flawlessly before the update.
Omg you are using an external enclosure, that is your problem. You can't do that because zfs doesn't have direct access to your disks. Please provide all hardware information so we can actually help you.

James L

Dabbler
Omg you are using an external enclosure, that is your problem. You can't do that because zfs doesn't have direct access to your disks. Please provide all hardware information so we can actually help you.

Really? Well good grief how has it been working perfectly on 9.3.1 for all these months ;)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Really? Well good grief how has it been working perfectly on 9.3.1 for all these months ;)
Because it wasn't working, you just didn't know it. Most of the time you don't know if you're not looking. So it was broken you just didn't know what to look for or where to look. If you go back to 9.3 it will still be broken.

James L

Dabbler
Because it wasn't working, you just didn't know it. Most of the time you don't know if you're not looking. So it was broken you just didn't know what to look for or where to look. If you go back to 9.3 it will still be broken.

That's hillarious. I guess VMWare didn't know it was working either. It wasn't really seeing the two 2TB iSCSI LUNs it was connecting to. It wasn't really working :p

James L

Dabbler
By the way, in re-installing 9.3.1 to get back to where I was, I did notice that the installer sees all of my disks, whereas 9.10 doesn't so that is the issue. Deprecating a product upgrade - that's interesting.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That's hillarious. I guess VMWare didn't know it was working either. It wasn't really seeing the two 2TB iSCSI LUNs it was connecting to. It wasn't really working :p
Do what you want but I'm correct. Your joking around and trying to not be mean but I'm telling you exactly what your problem is. When you can't solve it yourself don't bother asking for help if you don't listen.

To prove it can you please get smart data for all disks using smartctl. Also camcontrol devlist output.
You can also do some research on port multipliers and their usage with zfs, you won't find anything good.

Last edited:

James L

Dabbler
Lookee. Storage is back after scratch re-install of 9.3.1 Stable:
upload_2017-1-14_11-0-36.png

All disks seen.
upload_2017-1-14_11-1-3.png

James L

Dabbler
HW Diagnostics in a file as requested:

To prove it can you please get smart data for all disks using smartctl. Also camcontrol devlist output.

So what am I proving?

Everything is working properly as it was before on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515.

It doesn't work on 9.10.

Attachments

• HWDiags.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 311

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Perfect example of how you can't actually see the smart data for the disks, so you have zero monitoring of them. You also can see that your enclosure is working as a port multiplier. Feel free to run this setup but just know that your issues are not with freenas. Your issues are all hardware related because of what you have chosen to use.

James L

Dabbler
I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Works on 9.3.
Breaks on 9.10.

What is the hardware issue?
Seems like it is a FreeNAS issue.

I have no issues with FreeNAS 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.