FreeNas 9.3 GUI upgrade corrupted USB key

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrookstx

Cadet
I'm having an issue after an apparent failed GUI upgrade left me in an unusable state.

System Info:
AMD Sempron 145+/MSI Mobo/16GB RAM
FreeNas 9.3 latest as of 1/21/2015
4x Seagate 4Tb Hard Drives in 1 RAIDz1 with no smart errors, can be seen in zpool status, glabel status, etc from CLI
Everything in good order apparently from the command line.

Now that that's out of the way. I was running 9.2.1.9 with no issue, but I have a desire to keep current so I upgraded to 9.3 release using the GUI upgrade. The upgrade appeared to go well, I was back in the webUI no problem, there was a prompt to upgrade my ZFS pool, I did so from the webUI. All appeared to be well and running. Noticed my plex jail was showing a few errors related to a corrupted metadata db. I removed the jail and rebooted my FreeNas server. At this time, when my server came back up, it gave me an inaccessible boot device error.

I double checked everything, and the USB key appears to have died. Not a problem I have backups of my config file pre and post upgrade and every backups of every config file every week from every version of FreeNas I've run over the last 2 years stored on a separate machine. I'll just install a fresh 9.3 onto a new USB key and re-import my pool and re-setup my shares/jails.

All the problems begin here. From the CLI I run zpool status, I can see my pool "Files" and all online and in good order, message stating that it was in use by another server previously (as to be expected).

I run

Code:
zpool import -f Files

The import takes about 10 seconds and appears to be successful with no errors. I configure my network interfaces with the appropriate IP and log into the WebUI. No alerts, this looks promising.

Go to storage->View Disks, I can see all of the disks, no errors.
Storage->View Volumes, no volumes found

The CLI thinks my data is there, my volume is there, the webUI doesn't. I'm at a loss and don't want to risk borking my data up (Which while not critical, it would take a VERY long time to recopy 5.4Tb).

I have not tried to load the last configuration yet in case it's got anything borked in it.

My needs are simple, 1 CIFS share ("Files") and plex in a jail. the server does no other tasks. I believe I've missed something stupidly simple.

Thank you for your time and any assistance that can be offered.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you two the auto import option in the gui? You should try to detach your pool then use auto import.

rbrookstx

Cadet
as of this minute, the pool isn't attached. do you recommend autoimport from the gui or is there a CLI way to do it. I find that the gui doesn't give any useful information while a process is running. I'm not even sure how long it should take (first time this has happened).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You shouldn't be using the cli to perform any real operations, only read-only operations. Have you even tried the gui?

rbrookstx

Cadet
I haven't' tried to auto-import the volume yet, I will try it now. is there anything special I need to make sure before I try it?

rbrookstx

Cadet
I just got home, and I don't have auto import volume. as an option. If I choose import volume, nothing appears in the drop down. the disks are clearly seen however.

Attachments

• disks_avail.png
    disks_avail.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 223
  • no_autoimport.png
    no_autoimport.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 208

rbrookstx

Cadet
Update: I have recovered my original USB key, it no longer sees my volume either. it sees the disks, it sees the mount (though it shows an error about being unreadable). I'm at a loss as to what I can do without an entirely new wipe and rebuild of my 10Tb volume (something I don't want to do if I don't have to. At this point. I just want to recover the data that appears to be there. I've acquired 3 6Tb drives and I'm going to build a temporary array so I can begin the restore process and have a place to store my recovered data temporarily while I troubleshoot this.

S

sef

If you do "zpool import -f Files" it will show up in /, not /mnt. Try "zpool import -R /mnt -f Files".

You did not include the output of "zpool status" or anything else to know what's going on. So that's the first thing I'd want to see -- if a "zpool import" works, what does "zpool status" show?

rbrookstx

Cadet
I moved the drives to a new chasis (SuperMicro x10) with new RAM, cables, etc and I was able to import my pool via the webgui initial wizard. now I need to get my jail for plex re-imported....or atleast clear out the old jails and I can re-setup my plex install...

rbrookstx

Cadet
Update, rebuilt my jail configuration, it seems to be allowing me to use my existing jails (though I can't see the plex plugin, it's letting me access my jail). I guess it's safe to close this thread as resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.