Trouble with existing drive after adding a new one to the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Cadet
HELP!!

I recently set up at FreeNAS system running 9.1 on an ACER Aspire system w/4GB of memory with the FreeNAS mounted on the internal 320GB HD. I mounted two external USB harddrives and mounted them with no issues. 1 was a 1TB (WD) and the other was a 2TB (Seagate) drive. I put on approximately 1 TB of data on the 2TB drive and the system was stable. After attempting to add another external 1TB (WD) drive my system locked up and a screen of code appeared on the FreeNAS computer. I pushed enter and bounced back to the menu screen. I again tried to mount the new HD with no success. I tried a re-boot on the FreeNAS system and it locked up the computer when the 2TB drive was attached. It would not even recognize the keystrokes to get me to the BIOS on the computer. When the 2TB drive was removed the computer started fine and the 1TB original drive was discovered with no issues. When the system was running I reattached the 2TB drive and the system shows a critical error when viewing the volume. It shows the drive status as DEGRADED but the drive shows as online. I have some critical files I hope are not lost on the 2TB drive. I have the file storage set up in UFS as I currently do not have enough memory to set the system up in ZFS.

Has anyone experienced this and saved their data..

Eric

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, plenty of people have experienced this. The problem is that you shouldn't use USB hard drives. It almost always ends badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.