I broke it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denied

Dabbler
I had my FreeNAS all set up until last night when I was moving stuff around and snapped the USB that FreeNAS was booting from in half.

So, I'm starting over from scratch. I downloaded FreeNAS again, used Unetbootin and now I get "This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system".

Can I somehow still keep my data? (It was set-up in mirror) Do I need to wipe anything? Please advise.

gpsguy

Your server isn't booting from the flash drive and is trying to boot from hard disk.

Check the boot order in your BIOS. If set to boot from USB, redo the installation to flash drive, follow the instructions in the manual to recreate it.

Sent from my phone

danb35

Hall of Famer
And note from the manual that Unetbootin doesn't work. There's an .img file that you can dd directly to the new USB stick, though.

Whattteva

Wizard
Recovering FreeNAS to your previous state is really as easy as just re-imaging your USB flash drive and then restoring your configuration file, which should literally take at most 5 minutes. You DID backup your configuration file, right?

Denied

Dabbler
Regretfully, no. I'd planned to to back it up and add a new hard-drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Regretfully, no. I'd planned to to back it up and add a new hard-drive.

Then just install FreeNAS to a new USB drive and reconfigure your server. Your data should be safe, just import the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.