Build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

erbyk

Cadet
I am starting a FreeNAS build on older hardware. Ultimately it will have 5 x 2TB Drives. But to get the build up and running and start moving data over to it. It will have 2 X 1Tb drives. Is the system able to adapt and change and keep data as I add more drives? Or is better to just wait until the build is complete before I start moving data over to it? Does the OS require that all the drives be of the same size or will it adapt to different drive sizes?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am starting a FreeNas build on older hardware. Ultimately it will have 5 x 2TB Drives. But to get the build up and running and start moving Data over to it. It will have 2 X 1Tb drives. Is the system able to adapt and change and keep data as i add more drives? Or is better to just wait until the build is complete before i start moving data over to it? Does the OS require that all the drives be of the same size or will it adapt to different drive sizes?

Thanks
You should set the system up and do a bunch of "just try it" things to see how it works before you ever put the first byte of important data on the system. Like how to replace a failed drive, as an example. Learn the system first, then put your data on it. Please also look in the resources section of the forum as there are many guides for new users.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Check it the required reading in my signature. Also post your hardware specs.

erbyk

Cadet
Thanks guys. I'll start looking over the information now. I just have one more question. Can i add drives to the system that already have data on them? Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes, start reading

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is the system able to adapt and change and keep data as i add more drives?
Probably not in the way you're thinking.
Does the OS require that all the drives be of the same size or will it adapt to different drive sizes?
It will adapt to different drive sizes, but there are limits. As @SweetAndLow said, start reading--especially the ZFS Primer and the ZFS slideshow.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Can i add drives to the system that already have data on them?
No, the storage pool needs to be defined first. Then data is loaded into it via the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.