Migrate from Mirrored USB Boots to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilley7997

Dabbler
Hello again folks. I just have a couple of questions about this and want to verify what the best process would be to do this.

I have had 2 Sandisk Cruzers mirrored for some time, but have had repeated issues where one of them just dies, but if I wipe it and reinstall it I can add it back to the mirror and it will run for a bit, and then the other device may have the same issue. Quite frankly I'm just fed up with USB's and for the little bit of extra cash would just feel better about having the boots run on SSD, especially if I have the available Sata Ports to Support it.

So Questions:

1. Can you mirror boot an SSD installation destination, I had only ever done this with USB previously? Is there a need to?

2. What is the best migration path. Fresh install and upgrade to the latest version and then restore the configuration? This is what I am assuming is the best way but want to verify. I am still on the 9.3 Stable as I didn't want to be doing full upgrades with some USB's that are flaking out. The system hosts a few NFS shares and a few CIFS shares set up with user permissions and stuff. Figured the configuration migration was the best way to maintain all that config. I do have some rsync jobs that are set-up and a few ssh keys. Figured this may take a little work to clean up after the fact but shouldn't be a problem.

3. Best process? Disconnect all the data drives until the config restore is complete? Then shut the system down and the plug them back in power up and fingers crossed? Any advise would be appreciated for anyone that has done this in the past.

Thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
  1. Sure can. Same process; when installing FreeNAS just select both SSDs. As far as *need* that is up to you. As long as you have regular config backups, then it may not really be an issue for you.
  2. Probably easiest way would be to
    • Make a backup of your current config
    • Shutdown
    • Remove the USB Sticks
    • Install 9.3 on the new SSDs
    • Upload the saved config
    • Upgrade to 9.10.1 via the GUI
  3. Don't think you need to unplug the data drives, but I guess you could...

Just my thoughts, but others may have a more direct response, easier answer or even thought of some "gotchas" I overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.