How to get firmware updates for iX hardware?

seanm

Guru
As a Mac guy, I'm used to getting firmware updates as part of macOS updates. I asked iX about firmware updates for the hardware they sell, and they confirmed to me that updating FreeNAS does not update any firmware, nor do they have any central repository for future updates.

So how does one keep on top of firmware updates?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Through the vendor of the actual hardware in use--I believe they use Supermicro motherboards, for example. But I don't think there's anything in a typical FreeNAS box that requires regular firmware updates.

Redcoat

MVP

And if it's one of the Mini's, through ASrock's BIOS and IPMI firmware updates.

artlessknave

Wizard
if your system isn't exploding or missing a feature you need, you dont really need a firmware update. MAC might need to update the firmware since it is both so proprietary and integrated into the OS (firmware vulnerability = OS vulnerability) but generally firmware that is working is fine.

seanm

Guru
Through the vendor of the actual hardware in use--I believe they use Supermicro motherboards, for example.

Thanks. Literally, the vendor ("a person or company offering something for sale") was iXSystems, but I get what you mean: I have to walk my way up the supply chain myself. I guess I should get iX to provide me a list of relevant components... what would those be? The BIOS, HD firmware?, SSD firmware? What other components have upgradable firmware?

But I don't think there's anything in a typical FreeNAS box that requires regular firmware updates.

Not regularly, of course, but I want to update my documentation so that I know where to look for updates. :) Hopefully I'll be able to subscribe to some announcement lists.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess I should get iX to provide me a list of relevant components... what would those be? The BIOS, HD firmware?, SSD firmware? What other components have upgradable firmware?
The only things that would ordinarily have upgradeable firmware would be the motherboard (specifically, the BIOS, and perhaps the IPMI firmware if your system is so equipped), and the SAS HBA (again, if so equipped). I expect the system boot screen would tell you what motherboard is in use; the manufacturer of that board would provide any BIOS updates (though it's exceedingly rare that one is actually needed unless you're encountering a bug, and most motherboard manufacturers discourage you from upgrading the BIOS unless you're running into a bug).