IBM M1015 Controller Crossflashing: What the current firmware for FreeNAS 11.0?

StoreMyBytes

Dabbler
I'm building a FreeNAS box based off a used Dell R510. Got rid of the H700 card that came with it and bought an IBM M1015 controller as recommended by many other users.

Here's my build thread in case anyone is interested: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/dell-r510-server-build-advice-appreciated.56718

Questions:

• I searched through a lot of M1015 threads here on the forums, but many of them were quite old and referenced using M1015 controllers with FreeNAS version 9.
  • I plan on installing version 11.0 of FreeNAS, but want to make sure that the M1015 card is crossflashed with the firmware that is most compatible with v11 of FreeNAS.
  • What is the most current crossflashing procedure for the M1015? Any guides/videos/links for a newbie to read would be appreciated.
  • Also, which version of the firmware is confirmed working and stable with FreeNAS 11.0? Can it be downloaded directly from LSI's site, or is there another repository I should get them from?
Thank you as always for the help! This server has been several months in the researching phase and it is fun finally putting all the parts together and learning how it works. :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

PCBONEZ

Cadet
I had the the same question and Chris Moore's answer is wonderfully complete.

Thank you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I had the the same question and Chris Moore's answer is wonderfully complete.

Thank you.
Happy I could help. I had to hunt all over to find the information when I needed it.

Jammin

Dabbler
Sorry to necro this thread, but my question is directly related.

When I flashed my M1015 a couple of years ago, I remember having trouble until I blacked out one of the pins on the PCI connector. Despite my best googling I can't find that information anywhere now. Does anyone recall this issue and have a link to the why/how?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry to necro this thread, but my question is directly related.

When I flashed my M1015 a couple of years ago, I remember having trouble until I blacked out one of the pins on the PCI connector. Despite my best googling I can't find that information anywhere now. Does anyone recall this issue and have a link to the why/how?
This is the same problem although the video is addressing the issue as it relates to Dell controllers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBnNaheYmdA

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you so much. I just know when I pull that card the tape will come off and wanted to be prepared with how to re-apply :)
Not all systems require the tape. You might want to test it without the tape first.