Hi all from Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.

giacombum

Explorer
Hi everyone, I'm Giacomo from Rome. I'm planning to build a Freenas home NAS for my photos, music, films, TV shows and personal data backup. I'm reading all the guides and I think soon I'll start a new thread for hardware informations. Thank you very much!!!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums!

With respect to hardware for a new system, knowing your use case and desired storage capacity is required. You can't easily add a hard drive to increase the capacity with ZFS. There are little things that need to be planned in advance. Hardware wise if you stick to a motherboard that is common (like the one in my signature) and then get a CPU that will have the horsepower you need, matched with some ECC RAM, you will do fine. These are the common parts people like to cut corners on because they are not the cheapest items but honestly, the hard drives are the most expensive single component and you expect them to fail after a few years of use (warranty period). Again, know what you expect the system to do and the capacity you will need.

Enjoy the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.