Hi everybody :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyser

Cadet
(Hi, Doctor Nick!)

My first post. I've been looking into FreeNAS and reading the recommendations for a few weeks. I'm running out of disk space on the PC and wondering if a (Free)NAS is the way to go.

I've already got 2x WD Red 4TB HDs in my PC as data and backup drives so I'm currently thinking about getting a total of 6x WD Red 4TB for RAIDZ2. This is all my data, so photos, videos and music and the like. I like the idea of streaming my BR film collection to my TV and having everything in a central place. This will mean just a simple CIFS share at first and later maybe trying some jails etc.

Obviously I'd like it be to fast, or fast enough :) So that means maybe something like:
fractal design R4, Asrock C2750D4I, 16GB ECC RAM (32GB later on if it'll help), Seasonic 400W fanless and some UPS that can keep it on for a minute or do a controlled shutdown.

I'm hoping copying files should be around 60MB/sec and reads should be around 100MB/sec over standard gigabit. If everything works and is stable I'd maybe look at upgrading later and squeeze more out of CIFS, I'll see (10gbe?!).

Because I'm nearly out of disk space my build order is all over the place: I'm getting another 2 drives very soon and then the actual system in about a month, then I can play with freenas and then buy the remaining 2 drives shortly after that. phew.

So I may be posting a spec check thread soon to check things over before I buy :)

thanks

gpsguy

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reading the stickies, etc. first.

btw, who is Doctor Nick?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nvm you changed your post or I can't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.