Help from competant person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiew123

Dabbler
Hi guys,

New to Freenas and what i can make from it so far is that it is an amazing system and great community.

I downloaded a few guides and followed them untill i got stuck.

I managed to do the following:

create volumes with dataset

create users with permissions to datasets

turned on CFS as i wish to access the freenas on windows machines.

and then i got stuck, on both guides it says that i can now look at the freenas.

but i cannot get it to show on my windows pc, i have tried mapping the drive.

i typed in this: \\(ip address)\share

now this brings up a login screen, but any password i have set or sued dosnt work.

so basically i have everything working up untill the point i want to access the freenas.

any body have any ideas where to start?

Knowltey

Patron
Reboot the FreeNAS machine. There is a bug in the user account management that makes it so that CIFS won't recognize new accounts until after CIFS is restarted. (Hence it not taking the login credentials) (so you could technically just reboot CIFS, but since you've been changing so much just do a full reboot to be safe).

Also make sure to restart from the web interface. Do not, I repeat do not hard down the machine, FreeNAS really really does not like hard downs.

jamiew123

Dabbler
thanks for the advice, but unfortunatly i have already tried this and still the same problem.

Should i be mapping it as a drive to gain access ? both tutorials show that it just appears as a drive.

what is the standard way of doing this on a windows machine?

Knowltey

Patron
Is the user account you are trying to log into the share as either set up as the owner of, or part of the group that is set up as the owner of the ZFS dataset the share is part of? Then also make sure that the share is set for Inherit Owner and Inherit Permissions.

Also, verify the ACLs are actually set properly, I've noticed they tend to be finicky about it at times. I usually first set them as I want them with Unix ACL on the Dataset and then go back after that and switch it to Windows. Starting it as Windows sometimes won't set them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.