Hello from Virginia

micim987

Cadet
Hi, I'm Michael from Southwest Virginia. I'm currently attending community college to get an associates in networking and technical support. I hope to one day work in a data center or run fiber optic lines out in the field. I learned about FreeNAS from one of my professors. My FreeNAS box currently consists of a Z97 motherboard with a 4670k 16 GB of ram and 8 80GB hard drives in RAIDz1. I plan to upgrade later down the road when I am more financially stable but for now FreeNAS is a fun project to play with to get a better understanding of FreeBSD and Linux.

I'm relatively new to Linux/FreeBSD so I may end up asking some stupid questions as I learn everything. I hope to be become a part of this community and learn a lot more about FreeNAS and Linux in general as well as learn to better set up my NAS and get the most out of it.

Also sorry if this is written like a class introduction letter its a force of habit.

Welcome Michael! You may like to include your FreeNAS hardware and software configuration in your signature block. This will make it easier for forum members to provide you assistance as the information may be useful in diagnosing problems. As for forum etiquette, check out the Guidelines for some forum do's and dont's.

Redcoat

MVP
Michael, you won't be given much encouragement about Linux here, more likely gentle flack for such references...

You will be given lots of encouragement and help when it's clear you've done some reading of the docs and searching/reading of forum's information and resources.

You'll find https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/zfs-primer.38927/ a useful adjunct to the FreeNAS User Guide, I believe, as an example of what's around for your study pleasure.