Greetings from Virginia, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbuntu

Dabbler
Greetings from Virginia.

My motivation for joining the forum is the FreeNAS 10 beta. Originally, I intended to build a new server to use as a Linux-powered local CrashPlan server, using software-based RAID 10. However, I've listened to too much Allan Jude on the TechSNAP podcast, so I blame him for the fact that I'm now running the nightly builds of the FreeNAS 10 beta on this box.

The old saying that "If you saw how sausage is made, you'd never again eat it" comes to mind while participating in a beta; but the main draw is that version 10 can run a CrashPlan Docker package. (Great -- now I have to learn Docker, too!)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forum!

Curbuntu

Dabbler
Hi, Spearfoot. I could use your assistance on the forum. I need to start a thread to help me clear up a beta 10/Docker/Crashplan mystery, and the "help" boils down to this -- what's the proper heading under which to start the thread?

Synopsis: I'm running a new server rig devoted solely to local Crashplan backups, using FreeNAS 10 beta with a FreeNAS-approved Docker instance of Crashplan (because 9.1.x doesn't allow the running of CrashPlan). With a RaidZ2 comprised of 5 3-Tb drives, I should have an after-parity data capacity of about 8.1 Tb. However, yesterday, all my CP machines reported running out of room on the server -- after only backing up a combined total of about 2 Tb.

1. This might be a 10 beta-2 glitch. If so, I just live with it until it's fixed. That's life with a beta. The data are all backed up in the cloud, so this isn't "do or die." However,
  2. It could be a Docker setup problem. I'm more ignorant about Docker than I am about FreeNAS -- and that's saying a LOT!
  3. Or, being a how-could-anybody-be-that-clueless FreeNAS newb, it could be some other set up measure that I have overlooked.
So it's one of those conundrums in which I find myself so ignorant of the variable that I don't even know where in the fourm to start asking the questions, much less which questions to lead off with.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hmmm... I dunno! Sounds kind of wacky. Did you set up quotas on the shares?

In any case, we have a FreeNAS 10 'Testing' forum just for reporting problems with FN10, located here.

dcc1234

Cadet
I am new too, from VA/DC, and registered to try to figure out an NFS permission problem on MAC. lots-a-luck!

Curbuntu

Dabbler
@doc1234,

I didn't need much "luck" because of the helpful denizens of the forum here. They helped me work through my problems (the biggest one of which was ignorance, no doubt!) quickly and amiably. Even though I'm running the FreeNAS 10 beta, my new server just hums along without much need for intervention. I can monitor all CrashPlan backups from a browser tab.

There are stlll some "broken" or imcomplete features in the beta, so I download/install each available nightly release, then sit down and play with the setup about once a week to see what additional goodies are newly functional.

There's still a lot for me to learn about FreeNAS in general; I know I've only scatched the surface of its power. I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with FreeNAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.