Great motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

IonutZ

Contributor
Lame... apcupsd filled up my /var/log/messages and all the bz2s it keeps, so I do in fact have to restart in order to see this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The other consideration is that you have a legit 2308 on that board. You aren't crossflashed, and the IR firmware is perfectly capable of passthrough mode including SMART etc. So we don't really have statistically valid data, imho. We only know that IT mode is best practice, and mismatched versions can cause problems. It is also possible that LSI does its heaviest and most thorough testing on their IR drivers, assuming most will actually want features... not to just disable everything. We can only speculate.

That isn't true. We know from experience from way back when that IR firmwares can cause their own unique problems.

That's why I said above..

For all the reasons we recommend IT mode, it's still *highly* recommended you use IT mode over IR mode. Just because things look okay on the surface doesn't mean they are. Just ask all the Realtek NIC users that say that their NIC works fine until it just stops working suddenly. ;)

This isn't exactly a bunch of anecdotal evidence either.

Regardless of whether you want to flash a working system or not, basically every FreeNAS version jump *will* require a reflash anyway. Take it or leave it.

mjws00

Guru
Heh. This board isn't a "way back" board. Nor are these way back IR drivers. Show even 10 cases of the stock drivers on this exact board and firmware level causing issues. That makes this all anecdotal. Have the dev's tested this specifically, or the guys that wrote the drivers? Don't think so. We skip the testing and problem because a bunch of end users want to run a cheap m1015. IT mode works and is well tested, that does not mean IR does not work. Logic. Not to mention "past results are no guarantee of future returns" ;)

And you are right. I would skip the FreeNAS version jump as well. :) I need a damn good reason to touch a solid box, and expect to measure uptime in years/months. Not days.

You know I drink your koolaid most of the time, cyber. Reflashing a board (which can require a seperate box) because someone changed an option in a gui is ludicrous. This isn't fkn windows. Boot it. Leave it.

Guess I chose, leave it ;) LOL. You can see I plainly recommended IT mode first.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I never said that IR mode doesn't work. Don't put words in my mouth. Just like quite a few things around here, it works until it doesn't. And when you realize something was overlooked it's usually because you are in failure analysis mode and not data-recovery mode. At that point you've kissed the data goodbye, but you want to know what exactly is wrong so you can make sure it doesn't hit you again in the future.

Some of the IR modes have been known to fubar SMART outputs when things go a little wonky. Don't like to reflash, then don't. Just don't expect me (or the other more experienced people on the forum) to shed tears when you do exactly what we tell you not to do. ;)

Of course, in your case mjws00 I don't think you'd be begging for help in the forum if things went terribly south (you should know better and you are probably capable of figuring out how you got boned), and I'd like to think that your most important data is backed up somewhere else.

I have never had to reflash a card with a different box. What hardware are you using that requires a reflash from separate hardware???

mjws00

Guru
Lol. Nope wouldn't be begging for help. Would be sending a couple thousand dollar invoice to the boss of the brilliant lacky admin who took down my server with two years uptime and flashed a card because they read something on a forum. And then puked when it didn't "come back up". ;)

Quite a few examples of boards that don't like to flash. jgreco has posted some. My intel board was unhappy, might be possible with much hassle don't know or care. Instant fix to throw it in a different box to flash it and carry on. I know I am biased on the flash thing. Been in hell one to many times. Like I said cranky and paranoid. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
jgreco has mentioned a few that require different steps because the board is UEFI, but I don't specifically remember him mentioning a particular board that doesn't work no matter what.

My boards, all Supermicro and all have UEFI, can't follow the BIOS instructions. You actually have to reflash it from the UEFI shell. Not hard if you have done it once or twice. It's not much different than doing a flash from DOS. It's command line stuff. But if you don't know what you are looking at you will find that Google is your best friend.

What Intel board in particular? Do you know the model number? I can't say I'm too surprised about Intel. Not sure what it is about Intel motherboards, but I've never had good luck with them. They seem to have very obscure and random problems that I just can't explain. Never had an Intel board that worked flawlessly for me. I guess I can't be accused of being an Intel shill if I love everything Intel except their motherboards.

mjws00

Guru
Board in my sig Intel S1200v3RPS actually has a nice lsi controller built in. But it is embedded and can't be passed through vt-d. The crossflash that failed on it was the Intel Rs2wc080. It'll probably work from the UEFI shell. I bailed out early as I was frying bigger fish at the time.

That said it is running mismatch firmware so I'll tag it one day to prove that. This one can be rebooted ;). I HATE Intel desktop boards. Intel server boards I've always considered overpriced POS's lacking features. But this was cheap, and here, and I wanted instant. I intended to ditch it, but it has found a home and proven itself.

I'd certainly give it a thumbs up to anyone that can't get Supermicro gear easily. I'm a jaded SOB and it has managed to please me.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I could be mistaken, but I believe the Intel RS2WC080 requires you to get firmware updates from Intel's website and not from LSI.

I know Supermicro motherboards that have the on-board LSI controller go that route and I'm pretty sure the Intel card is similar in this fashion.

panz

Guru
I'm stupid and tired tonight... where can I find the actual LSI SAS2008 firmware version number, required by FreeBSD/FreeNAS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm stupid and tired tonight... where can I find the actual LSI SAS2008 firmware version number, required by FreeBSD/FreeNAS?

IIRC, it's in the opening section of the manual.

9.2.1.x uses P16

mjws00

Guru
As a quick note. No problem at all flashing from the efi shell on the Intel Board. Just didn't try it on the first pass. I may have first hand knowledge of the driver version mismatch causing random drive disconnects as well. ;) I need confirmation of stability, but woke up to a pool that was randomly dropping different drives. Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.