FreeNas not Showing on Network Through PPTP VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wenborn

Cadet
Hi,

I'm having problems accessing my FreeNas box through PPTP i can access the web GUI but just can't see my CIFS shares, I have the VPN setup on an Asus rt-n68u flashed with dd-wrt. I tried assigning DMZ to the local ip address of my server but it caused the PPTP VPN to stop responding i have a feeling theres some firewall/packet filter blocking VPN to the LAN but I'm not sure what it is so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Ive tried mapping a drive by using the ipaddress (\\192.168.1.3\share), also the netbios name (\\freenas\share) also with no luck.

Any Thoughts?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you can access the FreeNAS box when not on the VPN on the same machine I'd say it's a VPN issue. That's about all I can say to help because dd-wrt support is kind of outside our realm. :/

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ive tried mapping a drive by using the ipaddress (\\192.168.1.3\share), also the netbios name (\\freenas\share) also with no luck.

Any Thoughts?
I don't think it works like that, not plain old FreeNAS.

Let me ask you this first... So your FreeNAS maching IP address is apparently 192.168.1.3 and when you access the GUI from within your network with that IP address you get the GUI. Now if you enter on that same computer 192.168.1.3\share, you do not magically see your share open up, right?

You need an application to share your files on the internet and that is not CIFS. You can use FTP or SSH using an IP address and port number to gain remote access to file.

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't think it works like that, not plain old FreeNAS.

Let me ask you this first... So your FreeNAS maching IP address is apparently 192.168.1.3 and when you access the GUI from within your network with that IP address you get the GUI. Now if you enter on that same computer 192.168.1.3\share, you do not magically see your share open up, right?

You need an application to share your files on the internet and that is not CIFS. You can use FTP or SSH using an IP address and port number to gain remote access to file.
My CIFS works over VPN the way you described with zero problems. It works regardless if I use routed or bridged setup (with a WINS server setup). Of course, I use OpenVPN, so that may work differently.

l@e

Contributor
Normaly if you use dial vpn the client gets an ip in local range so the channel transparent. I use it from mobile to access files on my freenas and it works fine. Check the router conf. Try that pc connected on the same local lan.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I'm having problems accessing my FreeNas box through PPTP i can access the web GUI but just can't see my CIFS shares, I have the VPN setup on an Asus rt-n68u flashed with dd-wrt. I tried assigning DMZ to the local ip address of my server but it caused the PPTP VPN to stop responding i have a feeling theres some firewall/packet filter blocking VPN to the LAN but I'm not sure what it is so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any Thoughts?

Don't put the FreeNAS server on the DMZ. I think PPTP has security problems. Is there any technical reason why you can't set up an OpenVPN server on your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.