L2TP/IPSEC NetBIOS/CIFIS/DNS for FreeNAS and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeHiltz

Dabbler
Hey Everyone ,

I thought long and hard about even posting in this forum as my problem is almost guaranteed to be an issue with my firewall or network setup , but I have been looking for days ( I dont work right now , so I mean full days ).

Right now I have Windows 7 clients accessing our companies local network over VPN. This is working fine for the moment but I really need netBIOS names to resolve so that people do not have to connect using the IP address of the local machines ; including FreeNAS. I am using Zentyal L2TP/IPSEC as my VPN and FreeNAS 9.1.1 to share to ~20-30 clients from around North America.

I am willing to switch my Firewall to any Linux / FreeBSD distro. I have used pretty much all the major distros ( Ipcop , Pfsense , Zentyal , ClearOS , Endian , Zeroshell , Astaro etc etc) but only 3 of these support Windows 7 L2TP/IPSEC ( Zentyal , Astaro and Zeroshell) . I will not use PPTP because it is not secure and I cannot take that risk. I cannot use OpenVPN because the company requires that no additional software be used . Whatever is used must be built into Windows. I know Zentyal is much more than a firewall but it cannot compare to FreeNAS for file storage and reliability , so I use Zentyal for just a firewall.

I have read/posted in all the forums of the firewalls I have used and no one seems to be able to figure out what the issue is . I have tried WINS servers and several DNS/DHCP server , I even went against all I know and used Windows Server 2012 to try and resolve this issue ... I quickly came to my senses and continued my research in another direction.

To sum everything up , if anyone knows of any firewall distro that will allow me to share my Windows NetBIOS names and my FreeNAS CIFIS shares over a builtin Windows VPN ( not PPTP) , I would love some help here.

Thanks

nello

Patron
Did you figure out how to install a L2TP/IPSEC VPN on FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.