Can't see NAS while connected through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Hey guys,

I've had a FreeNAS box for about a month now, and I'm still figuring out the best way of accessing my CIFS share remotely. I first tried an SFTP connection, and mapped a network drive on my MacBook Pro (using Transmit). The unfortunate thing about this, is that the file permissions get messed up.

I then tried an OpenVPN server on my Raspberry Pi, and tried connecting to it using a VPN Client on my laptop, which didn't work properly. It's probably my lack of knowledge, but I couldn't manage to connect to it. I am now trying to get a PPTP connection to the Raspberry Pi, allowing me to access my share remotely.

Both of the devices (NAS and Pi) are on the same subnet (IP 192.168.2.12 and 192.168.2.14). When I'm on my home network, my laptop shows the NAS under network devices, and I can connect to the CIFS share without any problem. When I, however, connect to my VPN, the NAS is not shown. I can ping the machine, I can connect to the web UI, however the machine isn't shown.

Does anyone know how to get it to show up?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hey guys,

I've had a FreeNAS box for about a month now, and I'm still figuring out the best way of accessing my CIFS share remotely. I first tried an SFTP connection, and mapped a network drive on my MacBook Pro (using Transmit). The unfortunate thing about this, is that the file permissions get messed up.

I then tried an OpenVPN server on my Raspberry Pi, and tried connecting to it using a VPN Client on my laptop, which didn't work properly. It's probably my lack of knowledge, but I couldn't manage to connect to it. I am now trying to get a PPTP connection to the Raspberry Pi, allowing me to access my share remotely.

Both of the devices (NAS and Pi) are on the same subnet (IP 192.168.2.12 and 192.168.2.14). When I'm on my home network, my laptop shows the NAS under network devices, and I can connect to the CIFS share without any problem. When I, however, connect to my VPN, the NAS is not shown. I can ping the machine, I can connect to the web UI, however the machine isn't shown.

Does anyone know how to get it to show up?
Can you connect to the CIFS share by navigating to \\<ip-address> in Windows File Explorer?

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Can you connect to the CIFS share by navigating to \\<ip-address> in Windows File Explorer?
I'm actually running OS X on my laptop. I did try to connect to the the share using the Connect to server function in Finder (smb://freenas._smb._tcp.local), which works when I'm on my home network, but that doesn't work either:

"The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Here's a tip for VPN users.

Change your local network subnet to be something that you are likely to not run into anywhere else while on the go.

Don't leave your subnet 192.168.1.1/24, because there's a really good chance that another network you will connect to your VPN from will be that same subnet.

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Here's a tip for VPN users.

Change your local network subnet to be something that you are likely to not run into anywhere else while on the go.

Don't leave your subnet 192.168.1.1/24, because there's a really good chance that another network you will connect to your VPN from will be that same subnet.
I have set the VPN's priority higher than the WiFi priority, and am able to connect to the web UI using 192.168.2.12 (NAS IP). I'd think that means there is no interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.