Can't connect to cifs share with ES File Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jde

Explorer
I built my home system in the fall of 2014 and initially had no problem connecting to cifs shares with ES File Explorer ("EFX") on my Android devices. Sometime last summer I was editing share settings as set out in some forums here in an attempt to speed up browsing folders. At the same time there was a Freenas update, which I applied. A few days later I noticed that I could no longer connect to shares with EFX. I chalked it up to having manually changed the share settings and didn't really try to resolve the issue as I don't really need to access my home nas through EFX.

I built my work system in December, 2015 and left the cifs settings as default. I am similarly unable to connect to these cifs shares through EFX. I am able to connect to shares on a windows server 2008 on the same network with EFX. This has made me reconsider my earlier assumption that the inability to connect with EFX on my home system was due to my manual changes to the cifs settings vs. something in the Freenas update. I would really like to use EFX over VPN to pull up client information when I'm on the road.

EFX finds the freenas shares when scanning the network. But, when I try to connect to the shares, I get an error message stating "cannot find the server"

Has anyone had an issue using EFX to access cifs shares? Any suggestions on auxiliary parameters that might help?

jde

Explorer
Code:
[global]

server max protocol = SMB2
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    strict locking = no
    oplocks = yes
    deadtime = 15
    max log size = 51200
    max open files = 941762
    load printers = no
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    disable spoolss = yes
    getwd cache = yes
    guest account = nobody
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    directory name cache size = 0
    kernel change notify = no
    panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
    nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
    server string = FreeNAS Server
    ea support = yes
    store dos attributes = yes
    lm announce = yes
    hostname lookups = yes
    time server = yes
    acl allow execute always = true
    acl check permissions = true
    dos filemode = yes
    multicast dns register = yes
    domain logons = no
    local master = yes
    idmap config *: backend = tdb
    idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
    server role = standalone
    netbios name = FREENAS
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    security = user
    pid directory = /var/run/samba
    create mask = 0666
    directory mask = 0777
    client ntlmv2 auth = yes
    dos charset = CP437
    unix charset = UTF-8
    log level = 1

[shared]
    path = /mnt/RAB/RAB/shared
    printable = no
    veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    shadow:snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
    shadow:sort = desc
    shadow:localtime = yes
    shadow:format = auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M-1y
    shadow:snapdirseverywhere = yes
    vfs objects = shadow_copy2 zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread streams_xattr
    hide dot files = yes
    guest ok = no
    nfs4:mode = special
    nfs4:acedup = merge
    nfs4:chown = true
    zfsacl:acesort = dontcare

diedrichg

Wizard
I'm going to necro this thread because I have experienced the exact same scenario and wish to know the solution.

I have SMB2 enabled and have no problem browsing my SMB share with Windows and Mac clients on my network and even VPN. I'm curious as to what could have changed that isn't allowing my Android phone connect to the shares. I'm on 9.10.2

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm going to necro this thread because I have experienced the exact same scenario and wish to know the solution.

I have SMB2 enabled and have no problem browsing my SMB share with Windows and Mac clients on my network and even VPN. I'm curious as to what could have changed that isn't allowing my Android phone connect to the shares. I'm on 9.10.2
Try setting samba's minimum protocol to 'NT1'.

diedrichg

Wizard
BOOM! Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

diedrichg

Wizard
Strange thing is that it USED to work. But then either FN or ES Explorer changed something and browsing the smb was not possible.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Strange thing is that it USED to work. But then either FN or ES Explorer changed something and browsing the smb was not possible.

FreeNAS does not set a minimum protocol by default. I believe samba defaults to a setting even lower than NT1. So it's likely not a FreeNAS issue. Probably a regression in the android app.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS does not set a minimum protocol by default. I believe samba defaults to a setting even lower than NT1. So it's likely not a FreeNAS issue. Probably a regression in the android app.
I think they dropped support for pre-XP dialects of NT1 in recent versions, that could be the problem. They also dropped Windows 3.1 networking two or so years ago.

OiD

Dabbler
Hi All!

Just tried setting the minimum version but I can't get it to work with ESX either. I can see the server and the root folders, but cannot open/acces them.

Any other ideas?

diedrichg

Wizard
Hi All!

Just tried setting the minimum version but I can't get it to work with ESX either. I can see the server and the root folders, but cannot open/acces them.

Any other ideas?
I set NT1 as mentioned above and had no problems. As long as you can access the shares from Windows, Mac, Linux and you have NT1 set and you're logging in as that user with ESX then it should work.

OiD

Dabbler
I set NT1 as mentioned above and had no problems. As long as you can access the shares from Windows, Mac, Linux and you have NT1 set and you're logging in as that user with ESX then it should work.
I set in the SMB both max and min as NT1 and still have the same behaviour but no longer can acces from Windows 7. Is there any alternative software for android that you would recomend?

Thanks

diedrichg

Wizard
I set in the SMB both max and min as NT1 and still have the same behaviour but no longer can acces from Windows 7. Is there any alternative software for android that you would recomend?

Thanks
Set max at 3. Min nt1. ESX works for me with this configuration

Reactions: OiD

OiD

Dabbler
Fixed it! I found out that ESX was loging in anonymously. Entered my credentials and works fine with SMB_3 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.