FreeNAS Boot Drive Failed

Hawkins

Dabbler
Hi All,

I am somewhat of a FreeNAS noob so bare with me. I have been using FreeNAS for a little over a year and things have been going good. I have 4 drives in a ZFS Pool and one USB Boot Drive. I discovered this morning that my boot drive failed. I tried putting the drive in my PC and it doesn't even read it. Therefore, I am looking at a failed boot drive with no backup.

In reading other forums, I believe I need to reinstall FreeNAS on a USB which I have. I do have a backup from the latest FreeNAS update from late February. This is the *.db back up. I think this will restore my configs/permissions but I'll still need to reinstall/format PlexPass. I only used PlexPass as well as had one ZFS Backup pool. Any thoughts, advice, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hawkins

Keefeph

Cadet
I have the issue of my boot SSD failed with no back up of the configuration file :(. Were you able to recover the data?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, @Hawkins had a backup of the config, so should (have) upload(ed) it and it would be back to normal--and I assume that was done in the intervening three months (and no, there'd be no need to recreate jails). In your case, assuming your data drives are OK, you also have a backup--but you'll need to pull it off your pool. So do a fresh installation of either the same version of TrueNAS you were running, or a later version. Import your pool. Enable SSH, then use a SCP client like WinSCP to log into your server and go to /var/db/system/configs-{longhexnumber}/. There, you'll see directories for each Free/TrueNAS version you'd used. Go into the directory for the latest of those and download the config file.

Once you have that, log into the web UI and upload it. The system will take it, reboot a couple of times, and it should be back as it had been before your boot device died. As long as you weren't using pool encryption, that's all you'd need.