Unknown Filesystem after Replacing Failed USB in Boot Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbender22

Dabbler
Hi All,

I had a USB drive in my boot mirror fail several weeks ago. I ordered some new drives (SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB, same as what I'm already using) so I had another backup if necessary. After I replaced the failed drive, and it copied all the files over, I see the following in the log:

Code:
/usr/local/sbin/grub-install: error: unknown filesystem.

This is what zpool status shows:
Code:
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h44m with 0 errors on Wed Nov  8 04:29:05 2017
config:

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
	freenas-boot									ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
	  mirror-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		da0p2									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		gptid/5a4af377-c730-11e6-a04c-0cc47a72093a  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors

I cannot boot the system using the new USB drive by itself. I tried that just to test in case the other original drive fails in the future. Am I doing something incorrect when I replace the drive to cause this? I've replaced HDDs in FreeNAS before without issue. Is this just a weird issue, and I should reinstall, then restore from backup?

Another thread with a similar issue is here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/is-my-boot-pool-mirror-ok.26399/

I'm currently on the latest version of FreeNAS 11.0-U4, but when the issue started I was on 11.0. I had updated hoping it would possibly resolve my issue.

If I need to reinstall, and restore from backup, is it recommended to use UEFI or BIOS on a Supermicro server board that supports both?

Best Regards

You don't copy the files over. It doesn't work that way.

Go into the system tab at the very top, then click on the subtab that says "Boot" Click the "Status" button and then select the drive that says
gptid/5a4af377-c730-11e6-a04c-0cc47a72093a and at the bottom click replace.

Once that is done LEAVE IT ALONE. Resilver is very slow on usb flash drives. Check it the next day and see if it shows something else in that place. Once it does it's done what it should do.

jbbender22

Dabbler
You don't copy the files over. It doesn't work that way.

Go into the system tab at the very top, then click on the subtab that says "Boot" Click the "Status" button and then select the drive that says
gptid/5a4af377-c730-11e6-a04c-0cc47a72093a and at the bottom click replace.

Once that is done LEAVE IT ALONE. Resilver is very slow on usb flash drives. Check it the next day and see if it shows something else in that place. Once it does it's done what it should do.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I apologize, I should have been more clear. That is what I did, exactly as you described, replace and resilver. It did take a couple hours.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.