SOLVED Permanent Error in liblogin.so.3.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, semi-noob here with a hopefully not too noob issue.

The other night I fired up my FreeNAS to use Plex and got the error "The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected." I ran zpool status -v and received the following:

Code:
pool: CrinFinnCloud																											   
 state: ONLINE																													 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 03:27:43 with 0 errors on Sun Apr  8 03:27:43 2018											   
config:																															 

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM												 
		CrinFinnCloud								   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		  mirror-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			gptid/0bf7fef1-fd3b-11e6-aab1-0cc47aacb47a  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			gptid/0cab153a-fd3b-11e6-aab1-0cc47aacb47a  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		  mirror-1									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			gptid/0d657f78-fd3b-11e6-aab1-0cc47aacb47a  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
			gptid/0e13c730-fd3b-11e6-aab1-0cc47aacb47a  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 

errors: No known data errors																									   

pool: freenas-boot																											   
 state: ONLINE																													 
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data															 
		corruption.  Applications may be affected.																				 
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the														   
		entire pool from backup.																								   
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A																						 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:37 with 0 errors on Sun May  6 03:45:37 2018											   
config:																															 

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM																					 
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0																				   
		  da1p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0																					 

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:																 

//usr/local/lib/sasl2/liblogin.so.3.0.0

Couldn't find anything in google for that file related to FreeNAS, but it appears to be in my boot drive judging by the pool name. Just in case I ran Memtest86+ for 8 passes and got 0 errors (I have ECC RAM so I didn't really expect any).

Based on the location of the file I'm making the assumption that it's something wrong with my boot drive (a PNY 8GB USB stick). I switched to my backup boot USB stick (not mirrored but had a fresh install and an imported copy of the config from my main stick) but I'm getting the same error.

Has anyone experienced an error like this before? I'm wondering if I should try the following:
  • Delete the corrupted file using rm and hope it doesn't crash my whole install?
  • Say screw it and do a fresh install anyway on a USB stick where I can load my most recent config backup (can I do this on the same USB stick as long as it still works after wiping?)
  • Move everything off my current pool to other hard drives, destroy and rebuild the pool (probably as a raidz2 with my 4 drives) and then move everything back on (least appealing option but I can do it if I need to).
Open to any experience and advice. I can post my smartctl outputs for my two boot USB sticks as well, though I didn't really see anything of note in them.

UPDATE: I discovered while troubleshooting that the jail containing my installation of Plex was no longer working. I deleted my jail and Plex datasets from my pool and the error cleared the next day. Still not really sure what happened BUUUUUUT anyone who has this issue in the future should make sure they have snapshots of their working app datasets, and consider destroying and rebuilding those datasets if they get an error like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.