Replace mirrored boot drive in gui?

gulfstreme

Cadet
I can't find the procedure to replace a boot drive (that is mirrored) in the GUI.

In System > Boot Environments > Boot Pool Status > I have:

freenas-boot DEGRADED
mirror DEGRADED​
/dev/da0p2 ONLINE​
/dev/da1p2 REMOVED​
I replaced the physical usb stick and I have the option to "Detach" or "Replace". I tried "Replace" but /dev/da1p2 is not in the "member list". Do I choose "Detach"? Is the procedure in the v11.2 documentation?

Is the only way to Reinstall and restore config?

I am aware that ssd's are now recommended.

Last edited:

tfran1990

Patron
I have the same question. My case may be a bit different. my boot mirror shown healthy but i got an email regarding gmirror(8)
mirror/swap0 DEGRADED ada3p1(ACTIVE)
mirrir/swap1 COMPLETE ada2p1 (ACTIVE)

There was a bug report for it, replacing the usb was the fix.
if i want to replace the usb stick, what is the process?
im asking because i have messed this up in the past.

EDIT:
"If the system has a mirrored boot pool, there will be a Detach option in addition to the Replace option. To remove a device from the boot pool, click  (Options) for the device and click Detach. Alternately, if one of the boot devices has an OFFLINE Status, click the device to replace, then click Replace to rebuild the boot mirror." freenas doc.

None of my boot usb show offline, i would Detach the one that is reported as a problem then put in the new usb and attach it to the usb not a effected?
when do you use the replace option?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Which FreeNAS version are you running? Are you sure those devices are your boot pool and not storage disks?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't think there's supposed to be a swap space on the boot media.