[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

LtMittens

Cadet
I made a YouTube video for this plugin. it sounds like you are doing everything correctly so I'm not sure why logging in isn't working
The plugin says it installs correctly, I can even mount linproc to enable it to start automatically upon server reboot, but the webUI will not let me in. It's able to ping the Internet, it's updated, I have no idea.

I am a big bubble-blowing baby at FreeNAS and Linuc, so I assume that I'm screwing something up somewhere, but after several reinstalls with the same result, I don't know what to do at this point to get it working.

The one difference I notice from the video is Mineos does not appear in the menu on FreeNAS immediately after install. The jail assigns itself an already used IP address from my router, and I have to stop the jail and restart it to change it.

...Aaaand now it is refusing all connections. Wonderful.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@LtMittens You may want to check the log, I believe at /var/log/mineos.log

LtMittens

Cadet
At a minimum, this is telling you that your jail IP range is set up improperly, and you should fix it so that it can't assign a duplicate IP to a jail.

I have since changed the available IP addresses in the settings to avoid this conflict.

[QUOTE="@LtMittens You may want to check the log, I believe at /var/log/mineos.log.[/QUOTE]

A few things, in no particular order:

I was able to get the plugin working, after removing the jail, redownloading and reinstalling the plugin, it worked. I do not believe I did anything different to previous installations.

After three days, I tried to update mineos, using service mineos update inside the plugin jail. However, upon starting Mineos again, the process would stop when I tried to login.

Now I'm stuck staring at the login screen again, unable to login with the default mcserver/mcserver, which I did not change, or any other combination of username/password. I really don't understand- the plugin doesn't seem to be following the jail's usernames/passwords.

Short of deleting the plugin and reinstalling, I don't know how to even get into Mineos.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you shouldn't update the plugin, that has been broken for about a year now because of some complications with using a more recent version of node on freebsd9

LtMittens

Cadet
you shouldn't update the plugin, that has been broken for about a year now because of some complications with using a more recent version of node on freebsd9

Okay, I will try to extract my games, and reinstall the plugin.

Should the update line be struck out from the first post, and is there another method to update mineos then?

Thanks for all the time and help.

LtMittens

Cadet
c95e65d2791c8699f5c6c2793b34ee55.png

It keeps turning itself off now.

tailing /var/log/mineos.log gives these two errors. Do I have permissions set incorrectly or something?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
c95e65d2791c8699f5c6c2793b34ee55.png

It keeps turning itself off now.

tailing /var/log/mineos.log gives these two errors. Do I have permissions set incorrectly or something?
can you explain what you have done? is this a fresh install since you updated?

Visseroth

Guru
after running "service mineos update" the login no longer works at the web gui.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Visseroth

Guru
Indeed did the trick! Thanks yet again!

KevDog

Patron
In terms of resources, is this lighter to do it this way than compared to installing linux within bhyve and install MineOS in that manner? I would guess in this method if you wanted to use a dataset you'd have to share the dataset through either NFS or CIFS. I'm just wondering if using byhve -- although its a hypervisor -- would be prone to less breakage with updates?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
In terms of resources, is this lighter to do it this way than compared to installing linux within bhyve and install MineOS in that manner? I would guess in this method if you wanted to use a dataset you'd have to share the dataset through either NFS or CIFS. I'm just wondering if using byhve -- although its a hypervisor -- would be prone to less breakage with updates?
This method would be lighter then using bhyve. java would run on the host's kernel.

I'm not sure which one you are referencing when you say "this method". But with this plugin, dataset access will be with nullfs which will be also more efficient than whatever bhyve uses.

I'm not sure what you mean by breakage with updates. Updates of mineos, the minecraft server instances, or freenas?

badogski29

Dabbler
Just a question, im in the process of finishing my freenas build. Would I be able to run a modded minecraft server (i.e. hexxit, tekkit).

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just a question, im in the process of finishing my freenas build. Would I be able to run a modded minecraft server (i.e. hexxit, tekkit).
yes, there's templates available for some of those. or you can always specify a custom jar

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thank you, just curious with your build, the i3 that you have doesnt support ecc right?
my i3 actually can support ecc and non-ecc =]
depending on the motherboard

BetYourBottom

Contributor
Will you be making a MineOS plugin for Docker when FreeNAS 10 comes out? That's been my main blocker from switching to FreeNAS 10 beta2 right now.

Well, that and I don't know a lick about how to make Docker work near as easily as Jails have for me.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Will you be making a MineOS plugin for Docker when FreeNAS 10 comes out? That's been my main blocker from switching to FreeNAS 10 beta2 right now.

Well, that and I don't know a lick about how to make Docker work near as easily as Jails have for me.
no, I will not. FreeNAS 10 only support the standard Linux docker images. I would work on them if freenas supported freebsd docker images (which run on a native jail) but that isn't part of the plan for now.

I believe mineos makes their own docker images you could use. just realize this is running java on a virtual Linux kernel, so server performance will not be as good as you could get with jails.