[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Notes
  • This plugin requires FreeNAS version 9.2.1.8 or higher
  • You should add an "Pre-Init Command" similar to this so the plugin works after a (re)boot without manual stopping and starting
    Code:
    /sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc

• To update the MineOS you need to first run the following one time...
    Code:
    pkg install -y npm openjdk8
    sed -i '' -e 's|^\(command="\).*\("\)$|\1/usr/local/bin/node\2|' /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mineos
    sed -i '' -e 's|^\(start_precmd="\).*\("\)$|\1export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/bin\2|' /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mineos
    sed -i '' -e 's|^\([[:space:]]*\)/.*/npm\([[:space:]].*\)$|\1CXX=c++ /usr/local/bin/npm\2|' /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mineos

You can then update MineOS with the following...
    Code:
    service mineos onestop
    service mineos oneupdate
    service mineos start

• User/Group/Password management is done by editing UNIX users/groups/passwords in the plugin jail's userland
  • The default user is "mcserver" with the password "mcserver"
  • [Base Directory] is /var/games/minecraft by default
Video Introduction - View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tP31M2EWU8

Source - https://github.com/josh4trunks/freenas-plugins

Last edited:

Yaguznal

Explorer
Hey nice work Joshua!

I have been looking for this for a long time. Finaly I can manage my servers with some ease.

I have found one issue and I have one feature request:
- I had to provide another download link then the default one for the bukkit jar. When I tried the default provided download link and I clicked "download", it would freeze the jail.
- I had to reset all the passwords trough jexec before I could log on the webservice. Maybe write them down them somewhere?
- I am going to install ssh in the jail and try to get the console trough there so I can manage on my phone and get autocomplete. Would it be possible to build it in by default?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
weird, I'll test to see if bukkit freezes mine to.
I'll see if I can get a better solution to user/passwords.

you can access the server console(s) in the webinterface. if you need ssh in your jail you're free to set that up, but I always just jexec in.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Gonna ask a dumb question.. what's the advantage to running MineOS over running Minecraft in a FreeBSD jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Gonna ask a dumb question.. what's the advantage to running MineOS over running Minecraft in a FreeBSD jail?
a web interface to create and manage minecraft servers. you can startup a minecraft instance with a few mouse clicks.

mineos also has some backup/restore features, though I prefer to script this with zfs snapshots

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Mineos is a tad easier to manage with a webgui rather than the configs of standard minecraft install.

Personally I prefer mcmyadmin but I don't think there is a build for bsd.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Mineos is a tad easier to manage with a webgui rather than the configs of standard minecraft install.

Personally I prefer mcmyadmin but I don't think there is a build for bsd.

Sent from my Nexus 5
yeah, there a ton of web interfaces like this, many of them are cleaner/more feature rich. almost all of them rely on a compiled portion that will only run on Linux, this one uses python as the daemon so it actually work on BSD with linprocfs.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am able to download bukkit-recommended just fine.

Yaguznal

Explorer
Maybe I typed the url wrong. Maybe the download was temporarily down.

chotovy

Cadet
I was able to get this plugin working successfully. I am in the process of testing it more, to help find any bugs. Thanks for doing this, I have been wanting to implement a minecraft server with a web administration frontend and you have solved a lot of my problems. I was going to try to modify cyberjock's tutorial in order to get the web part done, but this is a piece of cake, thanks!

/var/games/minecraft/profiles/profiles.config - the group owner was wheel on initial install and I had to change it to mcserver to get the profile management to work for me. I tried what the page recommended, created a new group, gave the group ownership of the file, and added mcserver to the group, but the error continued to pop up. After changing the group of the file to mcserver I was able to continue

obsodien

Dabbler
Has anyone had issues with the plugin not wanting to restart after rebooting the server?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Has anyone had issues with the plugin not wanting to restart after rebooting the server?

yeah, and I know why. the shutdown command won't work if linprocfs want available at startup. you could mount linprocfs and restart the jail.

I'll work out a cleaner solution once I can work on this again.

xcom

Contributor
All started fine for me but the HDD Usage % on the dashboard is broken.
Thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
mineos doesn't have any special features for plugins. you have to add the zips/jars to the minecraft folder directly. it should be under /var/db/minecraft

obsodien

Dabbler
The folders in the /var/games/minecraft/ folder are:
archive
backup
import
profiles
servers

servers as:
[name of world]/logs
[name of world]/world

Is there a new folder that needs to be created of is the mods themselves copies in the minecraft.jar itself? I know i am connecting some dots that may not connect.

I do appreciate all the assistance you have provided so far.

xcom

Contributor
I think that's more of a minecraft question.

But the server folder is what you are looking for.

obsodien

Dabbler
Makes sense from how they were installed when you would run Minecraft from your PC (Non Server). This is my first attempt, ok, maybe second attempt...the first was following the instructions for installing it manually through JAIL, and then MineOS, which I like much better. Mostly because it is simpler... Now just how to add MODS. Eventually i am going to migrate my media server of this to a more powerful one and leave Minecraft for my daughter....