[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've went through all of the history of this thread but still am not sure what the status of this plugin is or what a solution to my problem is. I put in the pre-init command and tried installing mineos, however when it installs its missing its icon, and when I try to start it, it will attempt to start for a while and then fail with the errors shown in the attachment. Am I missing something simple here, or are there just issues with the plugin right now? Kudos to Josh for providing so much support over the life of this plugin, I don't think I've ever seen so much direct support from a plugin dev in the forums before. I've installed plenty of other plugins and stuff in jails without any problems before, so this definitely isn't a recurring theme with my system (I'm on 9.3-STABLE-201512121950). In the case where I can't get the plugin to work, does anyone know of any recent write-ups for installing mineos in a jail/is cyberjock's still good with the time that's passed? Thank you!
a missing icon is not an issue with this specific plugin. but with the jail's networking. I suggest you disable VIMAGE and assign an interface to the jail.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Alright, that got the logo back and I can start it now, thank you! I, however, can't connect with ssl- would this be a problem if I plan to port forward this to friends that want to play as well? Any suggestions on precautions I should take besides the usual stuff like permissions?
So you enabled ssl in the options but it isn't working?

no, enabling ssl for the mineos webui has nothing to do with how players would access server instances being hosted. They would connect on the port for those server(s).
not sure what you mean by permissions... mineos runs as root, thats how it was designed so permissions for it is rarely an issue. You really only need to think about permissions with mineos if you use multiple jail user accounts to manage server instances.

HeyRay2

Cadet
Nice looks good, simlar to the wiki entry. If you want to avoid py-supervisor and start mineos directly like the plugin here is an init script modified from the plugin; haven't tested it with your setup so it may need more changes.

Code:
install /dev/null /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mineos
syscr mineos_enable="YES"

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: mineos
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: shutdown
#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf
# to enable this service:
#
# mineos_enable (bool): Set to NO by default.
# Set it to YES to enable it.

. /etc/rc.subr
name="mineos"
rcvar="${name}_enable"
load_rc_config $name

: ${mineos_enable:="NO"}

pidfile="/var/run/mineos.pid"
command="/usr/local/bin/node"
procname="mineos"

start_precmd="export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
command_args="/usr/local/games/minecraft/service.js start"

extra_commands="update"
update_cmd="mineos_update"
mineos_update() {
    /usr/local/bin/git --git-dir=/usr/local/games/minecraft/.git --work-tree=/usr/local/games/minecraft pull
    ${start_precmd}
    CXX=c++ /usr/local/bin/npm --prefix /usr/local/games/minecraft update --python=/usr/local/bin/python2.7
}

run_rc_command "$1"

I tried this mineos startup option along with Jurgen Segaert's setup on 9.10 and it work's perfectly.

Thanks!

Nightscar

Dabbler
Although this post is old, and I apologize if this was asked or answered but .. can someone direct me to a way of backing up my minecraft world to my NAS storage?
I use the MineOS plugin which works very well for me, and I see that you can archive your server and all that .. but where does it put it and how can I just simply backup my world (Download/Save) .. I wish there was just a archive and download button in the main mineOS UI lol
Thanks for any help guys
Nightscar

P.S. I am running FreeNAS 9.10, with the MineOS Plugin

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Although this post is old, and I apologize if this was asked or answered but .. can someone direct me to a way of backing up my minecraft world to my NAS storage?
I use the MineOS plugin which works very well for me, and I see that you can archive your server and all that .. but where does it put it and how can I just simply backup my world (Download/Save) .. I wish there was just a archive and download button in the main mineOS UI lol
Thanks for any help guys
Nightscar

P.S. I am running FreeNAS 9.10, with the MineOS Plugin
Archives are stored in [Base Directory]/archive, which would by default be '/var/games/minecraft/archive' in the jail mineos is installed to

To download these files, I personally use SFTP to connect to FreeNAS, and browse to that folder in the jail.

####

If you are just trying to back things up to keep your world running well, not to move them somewhere else, you can use the Scheduling feature in the left panel of the MineOS WebUI to automate automate backups. I also have my [Base Directory] living on a dataset that I snapshot and replicate for remote backups.

Tirael

Cadet
Notes
  • This plugin requires FreeNAS version 9.2.1.8 or higher
  • You should add an "Pre-Init Command" similar to this so the plugin works after a (re)boot without manual stopping and starting
    • Code:
      /sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc

Помогите пожалуйста. Не пойму куда и как добавить код, чтобы плагин сам запускался при перезагрузке сервера? Буду очень признателен.
Help me please. I do not understand where and how to add code to the plugin itself to start when you restart the server? I would be very grateful.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Помогите пожалуйста. Не пойму куда и как добавить код, чтобы плагин сам запускался при перезагрузке сервера? Буду очень признателен.
Help me please. I do not understand where and how to add code to the plugin itself to start when you restart the server? I would be very grateful.
As long as the plugin is enabled on the Plugins > Installed tab, the plugin will try starting when freenas is rebooted.

But, in order for this to work, you must add the proper command to Tasks > Init/Shutdown Scripts
  • Type = Command
  • Command - You can get the specific command from Plugins > MineOS
  • When = Post Init

Tirael

Cadet
But, in order for this to work, you must add the proper command to Tasks > Init/Shutdown Scripts
  • Type = Command
  • Command - You can get the specific command from Plugins > MineOS
  • When = Post Init

Если стоит "When > Post Init", то плагин не стартует автоматически при перезагрузке FreeNAS.
Если стоит "When > Pre Init", то плагин автоматически (самостоятельно) стартует при любой перезагрузке FreeNAS.
Это нормально? Или это неверная работа системы / плагина?
If there is "When> Post Init", the plug-in does not start automatically when you restart FreeNAS.
If there is "When> Pre Init", the plugin automatically (independently) starts whenever you restart FreeNAS.
This is normal? Or is it the wrong operation of the system / plugin?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Если стоит "When > Post Init", то плагин не стартует автоматически при перезагрузке FreeNAS.
Если стоит "When > Pre Init", то плагин автоматически (самостоятельно) стартует при любой перезагрузке FreeNAS.
Это нормально? Или это неверная работа системы / плагина?
If there is "When> Post Init", the plug-in does not start automatically when you restart FreeNAS.
If there is "When> Pre Init", the plugin automatically (independently) starts whenever you restart FreeNAS.
This is normal? Or is it the wrong operation of the system / plugin?
Maybe I'm wrong and it needs to be Pre Init. The command needs to be run before MineOS tries starting.

EDIT
Yeah, looking at the opening post of this thread it should be a Pre-Init command.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I was able to do it the other day, but I think I needed to specify the jar to use. I'm not exactly sure if thats the correct way to do it though

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
maybe try setting the profile, then the button "Copy profile to live server files"? then refresh the page and see of you can chose the jar?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I dont think it gave me any feedback. maybe you can check in your jail if the jar was actually copied there. I was able to do this last week but dont remember the exact steps

Pheran

Patron
Looking at the log - whenever I change the profile it outputs this, is this error normal?

{"level":"info","message":"[KatieCraft] 192.168.1.10 issued command : \"modify_sc\"","timestamp":"2016-11-18T22:12:29.949Z"}
{"level":"info","message":"[KatieCraft] received request \"modify_sc\"","timestamp":"2016-11-18T22:12:29.949Z"}
{"base_dir":"/var/games/minecraft","level":"error","message":"[KatieCraft] Error with get_page_data { [Error: ENOENT, lstat '/var/games/minecraft/backup/KatieCraft']\n errno: 34,\n code: 'ENOENT',\n path: '/var/games/minecraft/backup/KatieCraft' }","timestamp":"2016-11-18T22:12:29.995Z"}

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure, maybe they can help on the mineos github/forum

Pheran

Patron
Since it seemed unhappy about the missing backup directory, I created it and gave it the right permissions. All seems well now, I was able to select a JAR and upgrade. I had to recreate my whole jails dataset after recently upgrading to FreeNAS 9.10 so it's possible I messed this up when I saved my MineOS data and then reinstalled/restored it.

Last edited:

LtMittens

Cadet
Hi.

I don't suppose someone could post a step-by-step tutorial for installing this plugin on 9.10? I'm having a devil of a time trying to get anything on this plugin to work.

The farthest I've been able to get is to the webUI, but no matter what username/password combination I try, I cannot gain access. I've tried resetting the jail's root password and attempting to login through the webUI with that, mcserver/mcserver, creating a user 'mcserver', but no luck.

There just seems to be some steps in between clicking 'install plugin', starting the plugin, and logging into the webUI that I'm missing, and I can't for the life of me find them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi.

I don't suppose someone could post a step-by-step tutorial for installing this plugin on 9.10? I'm having a devil of a time trying to get anything on this plugin to work.

The farthest I've been able to get is to the webUI, but no matter what username/password combination I try, I cannot gain access. I've tried resetting the jail's root password and attempting to login through the webUI with that, mcserver/mcserver, creating a user 'mcserver', but no luck.

There just seems to be some steps in between clicking 'install plugin', starting the plugin, and logging into the webUI that I'm missing, and I can't for the life of me find them.

Any help would be appreciated.
I made a YouTube video for this plugin. it sounds like you are doing everything correctly so I'm not sure why logging in isn't working