[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

Reggie Burnett

Dabbler
Is the 9.3.5 version of the plugin the latest and does it also include the latest mineos? I tried to do service mineos update but had problems with gmake not installled. I've now installed gmake and gcc but now I still get an error like:
gmake: g++: command not found

I was trying to update mineos since it kept crashing when I was trying to setup a server. I would work in the UI and then suddenly the web ui would not be there anymore and the current web ui didn't look anything like the youtube video you did. So I assumed it was out of date and I simply needed to do an update.

Now that it has failed to compile I can't login anymore.

Any better instructions on how to update mineos in a 9.10 jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is the 9.3.5 version of the plugin the latest and does it also include the latest mineos? I tried to do service mineos update but had problems with gmake not installled. I've now installed gmake and gcc but now I still get an error like:
gmake: g++: command not found

I was trying to update mineos since it kept crashing when I was trying to setup a server. I would work in the UI and then suddenly the web ui would not be there anymore and the current web ui didn't look anything like the youtube video you did. So I assumed it was out of date and I simply needed to do an update.

Now that it has failed to compile I can't login anymore.

Any better instructions on how to update mineos in a 9.10 jail?
I explained the situation somewhere in this thread before and it might be explained here too https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node/issues/95
Basically updating he plugin requires you install a newer version of node.

Do this
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-9-plugin-mineos.20122/page-22#post-300032

Reggie Burnett

Dabbler
I explained the situation somewhere in this thread before and it might be explained here too https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node/issues/95
Basically updating he plugin requires you install a newer version of node.

Do this
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-9-plugin-mineos.20122/page-22#post-300032

ok. I reinstalled the plugin and really can't get it going with 1.10.2. I went into profiles and all the minecraft versions were listed. I clicked the download button for 1.10.2 and it downloaded ok. I did a create server but it was an entirely different process than what you had in the Oct 2014 video. The server is not running and I hvae the buttons for accepitng the eula but they don't seem to do anything.

Is there an updated tutorial?

Reggie Burnett

Dabbler
ok. I reinstalled the plugin and really can't get it going with 1.10.2. I went into profiles and all the minecraft versions were listed. I clicked the download button for 1.10.2 and it downloaded ok. I did a create server but it was an entirely different process than what you had in the Oct 2014 video. The server is not running and I hvae the buttons for accepitng the eula but they don't seem to do anything.

And if I click on the link to read the EULA it goes to that url. if I then hit the back button to back to the web ui it appears to be down. Not sure if it crashed or what. I then start the server again the jail and the server I just created is no longer there. Really struggling to understand how to set this up.

Can anyone who is using the most recent build let me know what I'm doing wrong?

My kids will appreciate it :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

did you update mineos using the steps I linked?

I dont remember the exact steps, but if you can't get the latest version working ask on the mineos forum

KevDog

Patron
@Reggie Burnett --- I'll just tell you what I did since I had some problems setting things up as well. I just installed ubuntu within a bhyve virtual machine, and then went ahead and installed mineos on the linux installation. There are a lot of guides how to setup mineos on linux on the internet --- but please find recent ones, since as Joshua told you, the newer versions of mineos use node and you want to set up your machine this way. Anytime you use a hypervisor there is going to be a performance hit, however since the server I'm running doesn't get all that much traffic, I don't really experience any lag. This option worked for me, however it might not work for everyone.

I would have setup up MineOS with node purely within a FreeBSD jail however one of the requirements of MineOS (Taken from the Wikipedia) -- "The MineOS web-ui requires a Linux-compatible /proc filesystem; to enable linprocfs on load, execute these commands....
Code:
echo 'linprocfs_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf

kldload linprocfs mkdir -p /usr/compat/linux/proc mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /usr/compat/linux/proc

echo 'linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0' >> /etc/fstab

The problem I had was setting up this configuration within a jail. You can't do as these instructions tell you, rather somehow they have to be implemented within the main system and not the jail. A similar connundrum occurs for example when setting up bash. There is likely a work-around --- and in fact I know of posts where people said they solved this limitation -- however I couldn't get it working. I spent a few days trying to figure things out, but I couldn't get the optimal solution. I just abandoned and went the bhyve/linux route as explained above.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@KevDog since you brought up linux I had to prove it's better on FreeBSD =P

@Reggie Burnett I was able to get a 1.11.2 server running in about 10 mins.

* Installed the mineos plugin
* (optional, but needed in my setup) Edit the jail to disable VIMAGE and assign an IP > restart jail
* run commands in this post https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-9-plugin-mineos.20122/page-22#post-300032
* enable mineos plugin
* browse to mineos webui using default credentials
* Profiles > download 1.11.2
* Create new server
- set profile > "Copy profile to live server files" > set jar
- start the server, accept eula, stop and start the server
* connect

Reggie Burnett

Dabbler
Thanks to all that replied. I followed the instructions for setting it up without using the plugin and I now have it running! thanks for everyones help

Rudi101

Cadet
Hi Freenas10 Coral is up and running. I managed to get my Emby server sorted and is now busy with the Mineos. The docker file installed nicely and the services is running. I used the IP to start the web UI and is stuck now on the username and login. I read that the password is automatically generated in the docker minecraftsever log. My question is where is this log file. I used the console to search through the unix and the linux part and cant seem to find it. Also i am n Noob and have been figuring everything out as i go and reading up. So any help in sorting out this password issue will be greatly appreciated.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi Freenas10 Coral is up and running. I managed to get my Emby server sorted and is now busy with the Mineos. The docker file installed nicely and the services is running. I used the IP to start the web UI and is stuck now on the username and login. I read that the password is automatically generated in the docker minecraftsever log. My question is where is this log file. I used the console to search through the unix and the linux part and cant seem to find it. Also i am n Noob and have been figuring everything out as i go and reading up. So any help in sorting out this password issue will be greatly appreciated.
I assume it would be in /var/log

This thread is about the mineos plugin for FreeNAS 9, questions about their docker image should go on mineos' forum.

Alix

Dabbler
I keep getting this display after I run "service mineos update" on the jail:
upload_2017-4-3_15-6-14.png

This is even after a fresh install of the plugin.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Chumbukit

Cadet
I currently have a server running and am able to get into it with my local IP but nothing shows up with my public IP. I have it port forwarded and have confirmed that the port is open. I also created an exception on my routers firewall as well as disabled the firewall, but none of this works. Any ideas what is wrong?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I currently have a server running and am able to get into it with my local IP but nothing shows up with my public IP. I have it port forwarded and have confirmed that the port is open. I also created an exception on my routers firewall as well as disabled the firewall, but none of this works. Any ideas what is wrong?
Have you tested with an external checker like this? https://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/status/

In many cases, depending on your router, port forwards will not work from inside the network without enabling "NAT reflection"

Pheran

Patron
Just tried to update my Minecraft servers to 1.12 and it fails to start at all - reading some stuff over at the main MineOS forum it seems MineCraft now requires Java 8 - I'm still running the basic plugin so maybe I need to find those instructions to update to the node version?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Pheran

Patron

Thanks. I tried that process but when I run "service mineos start" it fails to start with the following in mineos.log:

Code:
{"date":"Sat Jun 10 2017 01:16:31 GMT-0400 (EDT)","process":{"pid":26736,"uid":0,"gid":0,"cwd":"/","execPath":"/usr/local/bin/node","version":"v7.10.0","argv":["/usr/local/bin/node","/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/webui.js","start"],"memoryUsage":{"rss":69672960,"heapTotal":36106240,"heapUsed":24972080,"external":136760}},"os":{"loadavg":[0.01513671875,0.09619140625,0.14697265625],"uptime":1085655},"trace":[{"column":29,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/server.js","function":null,"line":96,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":16,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js","function":null,"line":52,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":30,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js","function":null,"line":1209,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":20,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js","function":"ReadFileContext.callback","line":215,"method":"callback","native":false},{"column":13,"file":"fs.js","function":"FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]","line":359,"method":"readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]","native":false}],"stack":["TypeError: Cannot read property 'MemAvailable' of undefined","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/server.js:96:29","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1209:30","  at ReadFileContext.callback (/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js:215:20)","  at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete] (fs.js:359:13)"],"level":"error","message":"uncaughtException: Cannot read property 'MemAvailable' of undefined","timestamp":"2017-06-10T05:16:31.638Z"}
{"date":"Sat Jun 10 2017 01:16:32 GMT-0400 (EDT)","process":{"pid":26736,"uid":0,"gid":0,"cwd":"/","execPath":"/usr/local/bin/node","version":"v7.10.0","argv":["/usr/local/bin/node","/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/webui.js","start"],"memoryUsage":{"rss":70393856,"heapTotal":37154816,"heapUsed":18536936,"external":134925}},"os":{"loadavg":[0.01513671875,0.09619140625,0.14697265625],"uptime":1085656},"trace":[{"column":29,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/server.js","function":null,"line":96,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":16,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js","function":null,"line":52,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":30,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js","function":null,"line":1209,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":20,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js","function":"ReadFileContext.callback","line":215,"method":"callback","native":false},{"column":13,"file":"fs.js","function":"FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]","line":359,"method":"readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]","native":false}],"stack":["TypeError: Cannot read property 'MemAvailable' of undefined","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/server.js:96:29","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1209:30","  at ReadFileContext.callback (/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js:215:20)","  at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete] (fs.js:359:13)"],"level":"error","message":"uncaughtException: Cannot read property 'MemAvailable' of undefined","timestamp":"2017-06-10T05:16:32.686Z"}
{"date":"Sat Jun 10 2017 01:16:33 GMT-0400 (EDT)","process":{"pid":26736,"uid":0,"gid":0,"cwd":"/","execPath":"/usr/local/bin/node","version":"v7.10.0","argv":["/usr/local/bin/node","/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/webui.js","start"],"memoryUsage":{"rss":70393856,"heapTotal":37154816,"heapUsed":18593944,"external":143117}},"os":{"loadavg":[0.013671875,0.09423828125,0.14599609375],"uptime":1085657},"trace":[{"column":29,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/server.js","function":null,"line":96,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":16,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js","function":null,"line":52,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":30,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js","function":null,"line":1209,"method":null,"native":false},{"column":20,"file":"/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js","function":"ReadFileContext.callback","line":215,"method":"callback","native":false},{"column":13,"file":"fs.js","function":"FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]","line":359,"method":"readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]","native":false}],"stack":["TypeError: Cannot read property 'MemAvailable' of undefined","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/server.js:96:29","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16","  at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1209:30","  at ReadFileContext.callback (/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js:215:20)","  at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete] (fs.js:359:13)"],"level":"error","message":"uncaughtException: Cannot read property 'MemAvailable' of undefined","timestamp":"2017-06-10T05:16:33.698Z"}

I have to get to bed but I'll take a closer look tomorrow.