[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

paradoxiom

Patron
yeah, it's the jail's user database. I only know the su and passwd command, for everything else I consult freebsd docs on user management and manages for commands

Oh you're the author, ok, thanks for the cool plugin :)

A couple of things: the login page/form doesn't seem to be a 'proper' login form, because my LastPass plugin can't detect it so I can auto-login/save my details for it etc.

Second thing is regarding craftbukkit, I did the 'download latest buildtools.jar' and then built it on top of 1.8.8, copied to server -on the server page I try changing the runnable .jar from vanilla 1.8.8 to the buildtools.jar but the server doesn't start then, am I doing something wrong there?

It's been a while since I dabbled with craftbukkit, and I don't remember buildtools.jar, but is this (if it were working) essentially swapping the servers runnable jar with a craftbukkit one, so plugins can be used then etc?
On the server page there's also the option to change the profile to a buildtools one, should that be selected also when doing this / what's the purpose of it? (also it doesn't work anyway if I try to switch to it or not).

Anyway as far as the server not starting with that jar goes there's nothing in the console or anything, just seems like the run button doesn't do anything.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Oh you're the author, ok, thanks for the cool plugin :)

A couple of things: the login page/form doesn't seem to be a 'proper' login form, because my LastPass plugin can't detect it so I can auto-login/save my details for it etc.

Second thing is regarding craftbukkit, I did the 'download latest buildtools.jar' and then built it on top of 1.8.8, copied to server -on the server page I try changing the runnable .jar from vanilla 1.8.8 to the buildtools.jar but the server doesn't start then, am I doing something wrong there?

It's been a while since I dabbled with craftbukkit, and I don't remember buildtools.jar, but is this (if it were working) essentially swapping the servers runnable jar with a craftbukkit one, so plugins can be used then etc?
On the server page there's also the option to change the profile to a buildtools one, should that be selected also when doing this / what's the purpose of it? (also it doesn't work anyway if I try to switch to it or not).

Anyway as far as the server not starting with that jar goes there's nothing in the console or anything, just seems like the run button doesn't do anything.
Sorry, I probably can't help much as I currently just use this plugin for the most basic stuff.
I recommend you ask for support on the mineos forums or mineos github page. Most of what you asked I believe is not FreeNAS specific so the MineOS dev can help you out better. If he says one of the problems in FreeNAS specific I can look into it further. Goodluck

paradoxiom

Patron
pre-init command '/sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/OrbitalHub/Jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc' doesn't seem to work for me, the plugin is always 'off' after a restart, anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
pre-init command '/sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/OrbitalHub/Jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc' doesn't seem to work for me, the plugin is always 'off' after a restart, anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks
that doesn't actually restart the service for you. I think it should start regardless, but it just won't actually work to start java. I would try running 'service mineos start' to see if any errors popup.

paradoxiom

Patron
I don't know what's happened to my setup, but starting this morning the plugin just won't work anymore. I've tried deleting and re-installing it about 10 times now, but something keeps happening to cause the plugin to break and when I start it, it turns off again a few seconds later.

It's also causing firefox to stall for AGES when accessing the web CP for mineos, don't understand that either.

I just managed to log in and got this "Error: unsupported charset "UTF-8" at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:72:15 at done (/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/body-parser/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:248:14) at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/body-parser/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:226:7 at process._tickCallback (node.js:419:13)"

Then the plugin broke and won't start anymore.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't know what's happened to my setup, but starting this morning the plugin just won't work anymore. I've tried deleting and re-installing it about 10 times now, but something keeps happening to cause the plugin to break and when I start it, it turns off again a few seconds later.

It's also causing firefox to stall for AGES when accessing the web CP for mineos, don't understand that either.

I just managed to log in and got this "Error: unsupported charset "UTF-8" at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:72:15 at done (/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/body-parser/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:248:14) at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/share/mineos/mineos-node/node_modules/body-parser/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:226:7 at process._tickCallback (node.js:419:13)"

Then the plugin broke and won't start anymore.
maybe you should try updating and restarting mineos, also a reboot and manual stop and start might help if freenas is having issues mounting linprocfs. also, as long as you save your base_directory, you can always use it in a fresh jail
service mineos stop
service mineos update
service mineos start

paradoxiom

Patron
I've tried updating it in a few of the many attempts I've made so far now, and I noticed on the last attempt that the log was showing errors when updating, I just didn't pay attention to it before because when I checked if it was updated by trying to update again, it would tell me that it was up to date. So it seems for me, the plugin with no update is unstable/buggy but the update is now failing (was there a recent update in the last day or two?)

I'll do it again and copy the errors from the console here.

Edit: I just tried it again and there were no errors just some warnings, maybe there was an update fix? do you work on that or did you just create the plugin component for freenas for it?

Here are the warnings I got now anyway, i'll try this attempt out and see how it goes.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6hS799U7

Edit2: Accessing the web cp now crashes firefox 100% of the time, before the login page even renders, so I'm guessing the recent updates are buggy.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've tried updating it in a few of the many attempts I've made so far now, and I noticed on the last attempt that the log was showing errors when updating, I just didn't pay attention to it before because when I checked if it was updated by trying to update again, it would tell me that it was up to date. So it seems for me, the plugin with no update is unstable/buggy but the update is now failing (was there a recent update in the last day or two?)

I'll do it again and copy the errors from the console here.

Edit: I just tried it again and there were no errors just some warnings, maybe there was an update fix? do you work on that or did you just create the plugin component for freenas for it?

Here are the warnings I got now anyway, i'll try this attempt out and see how it goes.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6hS799U7

Edit2: Accessing the web cp now crashes firefox 100% of the time, before the login page even renders, so I'm guessing the recent updates are buggy.
I pretty much just ship a snapshot of the github repo, all the needed dependencies for minecraft and the webui (java/python / node.js), and an init script with the start/stop/status and a update function (specific for this plugin). I haven't touched this plugins in several months; if something changes it's likely something on the application (mineos-node) side.

If you are experiencing bugs report them here to help get them fixed.
https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I just tried the steps I posted earlier. Got a buch of errors during the update step where npm builds all the node dependencies (see attached) but after starting mineos-node the webui seems to work fine for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-11-22 19-58-02.png
    Screenshot from 2015-11-22 19-58-02.png
    260.3 KB · Views: 320

paradoxiom

Patron
Alright, well I can't get it to work anymore at all now. I figured out why the web UI was crashing firefox - something to do with SSL, I turned that off in the plugin settings and then I can access the web UI fine.

The plugin seems to run fine and be stable, right up until I start trying to create a server and such, it will just crash and turn 'off' on the plugins page on freenas. After that happens, it seems to always just crash 5-10 seconds after I turn it on again.

Is it possible to install the plugin manually in a jail?

http://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=MineOS-node_(pkg_add)

would I be able to follow those instructions and just type those commands in a standard jail's shell?

Thanks again.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Alright, well I can't get it to work anymore at all now. I figured out why the web UI was crashing firefox - something to do with SSL, I turned that off in the plugin settings and then I can access the web UI fine.

The plugin seems to run fine and be stable, right up until I start trying to create a server and such, it will just crash and turn 'off' on the plugins page on freenas. After that happens, it seems to always just crash 5-10 seconds after I turn it on again.

Is it possible to install the plugin manually in a jail?

http://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=MineOS-node_(pkg_add)

would I be able to follow those instructions and just type those commands in a standard jail's shell?

Thanks again.
Not with those instructions because they use the old pkg system. But you definitely could try it. I recommend building my port (that I maintain to build the plugin) https://github.com/josh4trunks/freenas-plugins/tree/master/ports/games/mineos

I posted some tips earlier but they seem to have not been saved by this forum. I suggest you try rebooting your FreeNAS. this might just be a case of an old procfs module mounted to a jail that no longer exists.
this plugin relies on procfs to be mounted to the jail, and might have been confused by you deleting the jail at some point.

paradoxiom

Patron
Thanks for the repeated help. I've tried deleting the plugin and restarting the (freenas) server itself quite a few times actually because I thought that might fix it, but it always just seems to end up the same way and crash.
It was fine when I first started using it, then things went to hell after the last service mineos update.

I would like to get it working, but I'm not opposed to installing it manually, I just really need to get it working soon because people are relying on me. Maybe I'll check out the Spigot forums and see if anyone there can help me install it manually.

thanks again dude,
para

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the repeated help. I've tried deleting the plugin and restarting the (freenas) server itself quite a few times actually because I thought that might fix it, but it always just seems to end up the same way and crash.
It was fine when I first started using it, then things went to hell after the last service mineos update.

I would like to get it working, but I'm not opposed to installing it manually, I just really need to get it working soon because people are relying on me. Maybe I'll check out the Spigot forums and see if anyone there can help me install it manually.

thanks again dude,
para
As I said manually installing MineOS probably won't make a difference. The program will run the same regardless, but feel free to try out building the port I have on my github repo.
But, if you mean manually running just minecraft/craftbukkit/spiggot that might change things as you'd be running the java processing directly instead of having MineOS do that for you.

Another thing you might check is what processing is crashing. The java minecraft process or mineos' node.js process. Both have logs you could read for clues.

paradoxiom

Patron
But, if you mean manually running just minecraft/craftbukkit/spiggot that might change things as you'd be running the java processing directly instead of having MineOS do that for you.

Another thing you might check is what processing is crashing. The java minecraft process or mineos' node.js process. Both have logs you could read for clues.

That's what I mean, I don't mind having to start/stop it via a shell/command line, I just want to get it working. how do I access those logs / where are they located?

thanks again

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
That's what I mean, I don't mind having to start/stop it via a shell/command line, I just want to get it working. how do I access those logs / where are they located?

thanks again
the java ones are in the individual minecraft server's folder. I think the mineos webui ones are somewhere in /var/log/mineos but I'm not able to check at the moment.

paradoxiom

Patron
the java ones are in the individual minecraft server's folder. I think the mineos webui ones are somewhere in /var/log/mineos but I'm not able to check at the moment.

hm, could I install the mineOS plugin, and simply leave it disabled, and then SSH into the jail and start the server that way then? that seems a lot easier?

thanks again

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
hm, could I install the mineOS plugin, and simply leave it disabled, and then SSH into the jail and start the server that way then? that seems a lot easier?

thanks again
yes, if you knew the paths and parameters needed. I don't know why that would much easier. it would pretty much be the same as figuring out the parameters when running minecraft manually.

paradoxiom

Patron
yes, if you knew the paths and parameters needed. I don't know why that would much easier. it would pretty much be the same as figuring out the parameters when running minecraft manually.

I am not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate further?

I already know how to start/stop a minecraft server via ssh/Screen on a friends linode, so if I have it right, I *can* simply install the plugin, which would create the jail and put everything in there, then I could turn the plugin off and just do the same thing I've been doing to my friends linode host to start/stop the minecraft server etc?

thank you again

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate further?

I already know how to start/stop a minecraft server via ssh/Screen on a friends linode, so if I have it right, I *can* simply install the plugin, which would create the jail and put everything in there, then I could turn the plugin off and just do the same thing I've been doing to my friends linode host to start/stop the minecraft server etc?

thank you again
yes you could. I just mean you'd need to know the command to run, which you say you know.
BTW, the plugin installs java at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/bin/java

paradoxiom

Patron
yes you could. I just mean you'd need to know the command to run, which you say you know.
BTW, the plugin installs java at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/bin/java

Great thanks. Is that relevant? the java location I mean?
Because the command I use to start the server is just "java -Xms2048M -Xmx4096M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -jar spigot-1.8.8.jar"

thanks again