here's what I do.
* set "base directory" to be at /mnt/minecraft
* create a minecraft dataset
* setup periodic snapshots for this dataset
* mount dataset to the mineos jail at /mnt/minecraft
* run the following in the mineos jail to setup identical permissions
Code:
mv /var/games/minecraft/* /mnt/minecraft

for replication I use some custom scripts, but you could just set this up using the built in stuff from freenas

TrueType

Dabbler
here's what I do.
* set "base directory" to be at /mnt/minecraft
* create a minecraft dataset
* setup periodic snapshots for this dataset
* mount dataset to the mineos jail at /mnt/minecraft
* run the following in the mineos jail to setup identical permissions
Code:
mv /var/games/minecraft/* /mnt/minecraft

for replication I use some custom scripts, but you could just set this up using the built in stuff from freenas
Cool, thanks :)

Wackoamd

Cadet
would it be possible to make mineos check if the server is still running and if its not auto start the server

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
would it be possible to make mineos check if the server is still running and if its not auto start the server
I would ask on the mineos forum. They might have a method to do that.

Does anyone know how to update MineOS to the new Node.js web server? I tried performing the service mineos update, but that just updated to the latest python version.

Also Joshua to make sure that i'm setting up the command right for server restart the path is:

Init/Shutdown Scripts > Add Init/Shutdown Script.

Then the settings of
Type: Command
Command: /sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc
When: Pre-Init

Thanks for your help! This plugin rocks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know how to update MineOS to the new Node.js web server? I tried performing the service mineos update, but that just updated to the latest python version.

Also Joshua to make sure that i'm setting up the command right for server restart the path is:

Init/Shutdown Scripts > Add Init/Shutdown Script.

Then the settings of
Type: Command
Command: /sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc
When: Pre-Init

Thanks for your help! This plugin rocks!
Is the node.js version released/stable yet? I could update the plugin to use that, if that is the current stable release.

And yes, your init stuff is perfect, assuming your jails path is /mnt/tank/jails

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is the node.js version required to run pocket minecraft servers? I don't see any profiles for pocket on the current version.
I don't think so, but mineos-node does make it easier to run alternative servers/jars.

I should have a build of mineos-node ready to test tonight/tomorrow. im not sure how to release it because I think upgrades won't work. i think mineos-node structures it's files/folders differently, so that might be something we test.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@jeremyblevins @KenNashua and anyone else interested in mineos-node, here's a test build.
https://www.jruehlig.com/owncloud/s/z2pTbXo02S0aAad

Things that need to be tested..
  1. upon (re)boot of FreeNAS does the mount command need to run as a "Pre Init" command, or is a "Post Init" command sufficient?
    • Code:
      mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/customplugin_1/usr/compat/linux/proc
  2. Can you use this on top of a previous base_directory from mineos. I suggest installing this to it's own jail, copying over a working base_directory from mineos, then starting it.
    • Code:
      cp -rp /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft /mnt/tank/jails/customplugin_1/var/games/minecraft

Thanks to anyone who can help!

@jeremyblevins @KenNashua and anyone else interested in mineos-node, here's a test build.
https://www.jruehlig.com/owncloud/s/z2pTbXo02S0aAad

Things that need to be tested..
  1. upon (re)boot of FreeNAS does the mount command need to run as a "Pre Init" command, or is a "Post Init" command sufficient?
    • Code:
      mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/customplugin_1/usr/compat/linux/proc
  2. Can you use this on top of a previous base_directory from mineos. I suggest installing this to it's own jail, copying over a working base_directory from mineos, then starting it.
    • Code:
      cp -rp /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft /mnt/tank/jails/customplugin_1/var/games/minecraft

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Hey Joshua,

Just tried to follow that link but i'm getting file not found. I do see the plugin was updated to 9.3.3. Does that mean the changes were pushed to the official plugin? Thanks so much for your help Joshua! The Node version makes it so much easier to play modded Minecraft.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey Joshua,

Just tried to follow that link but i'm getting file not found. I do see the plugin was updated to 9.3.3. Does that mean the changes were pushed to the official plugin? Thanks so much for your help Joshua! The Node version makes it so much easier to play modded Minecraft.
yeah it's in the repo now.
I recommend running "service mineos oneupdate" as the dev just pushed some related fixes.

yeah it's in the repo now.
I recommend running "service mineos oneupdate" as the dev just pushed some related fixes.
Okay so i performed the update and ran the command you mentioned. However whenever i go into the web ui, I don't see any profiles listed. Without these profiles i'm unable to create a new server for testing. I am able to ping google.com from within the jail so I don't think it's an issue accessing the web. Any other ideas on where the issue may be?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Okay so i performed the update and ran the command you mentioned. However whenever i go into the web ui, I don't see any profiles listed. Without these profiles i'm unable to create a new server for testing. I am able to ping google.com from within the jail so I don't think it's an issue accessing the web. Any other ideas on where the issue may be?
I had the same issue, but in my case I couldn't connect out. Once I fixed networking it worked fine. maybe you should try restarting the jail? Also is this an upgrade of mineos or a fresh install?

After running "service mineos update" I'm getting the same behavior. I'm guessing something was broken in the mineos-node project. Going to investigate.

Last edited:

yaplej

Dabbler
Hey there,

Well I just tried to update everything FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201508250051 and updated the MineOS plugin but now the plugin wont start.

I did add the Post Init command "mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/vg0/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc" and rebooted again. I just cannot get the MineOS plugin to start at all.

service mineos update
Already up-to-date.

service mineos start
Starting mineos.
Starting mineos daemon...
mineos daemon started. PID: 21432

service mineos status
mineos is not running.

Trying to start from the FreeNAS UI fails too.

more /var/log/mineos.log is empty.

Iv been digging trying to figure out why it wont start or where other logs are to see whats crashing.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey there,

Well I just tried to update everything FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201508250051 and updated the MineOS plugin but now the plugin wont start.

I did add the Post Init command "mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /mnt/vg0/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc" and rebooted again. I just cannot get the MineOS plugin to start at all.

service mineos update
Already up-to-date.

service mineos start
Starting mineos.
Starting mineos daemon...
mineos daemon started. PID: 21432

service mineos status
mineos is not running.

Trying to start from the FreeNAS UI fails too.

more /var/log/mineos.log is empty.

Iv been digging trying to figure out why it wont start or where other logs are to see whats crashing.
Can you confirm if a fresh install works fine for you?
Also can you show the contents of /usr/local/etc/mineos.conf, I just want to make sure a new config file was generated.

I had the same issue, but in my case I couldn't connect out. Once I fixed networking it worked fine. maybe you should try restarting the jail? Also is this an upgrade of mineos or a fresh install?

I've tried reinstalling the plugin, restarting the plugin, jail, and FreeNAS. Any other ideas of something to change? This is just a fresh install while I test it, and then i'll bring over the servers from my other session.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've tried reinstalling the plugin, restarting the plugin, jail, and FreeNAS. Any other ideas of something to change? This is just a fresh install while I test it, and then i'll bring over the servers from my other session.
You only have the issue after running 'service mineos update' right? A fresh install works for me, but updating to the latest mineos-node code broke profiles for me too.

You only have the issue after running 'service mineos update' right? A fresh install works for me, but updating to the latest mineos-node code broke profiles for me too.
I haven't tested it without the update. Let me delete it and start again and i'll update you.

Update: Yup is was that webgui update. Without running that script everything seems to operating smoothly. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I haven't tested it without the update. Let me delete it and start again and i'll update you.

Update: Yup is was that webgui update. Without running that script everything seems to operating smoothly. Thanks again for your help!
Ok, thanks for checking. I'll tell hexparrot, the dev.