FreeNAS 9.10-RELEASE now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
Any issues with encrypted volumes?

hungarianhc

Patron
Not that I've seen. I've got an encrypted 3x2 mirrored striped pool, and it upgraded without a hitch.
Awesome. Thanks for letting me know... I think in the past w/ some major upgrades there have been hiccups w/ encrypted volumes. I'll give it a go tonight.

AVB

Contributor
Where exactly are these upgrade files being saved to?

J

jkh

Where exactly are these upgrade files being saved to?
You mean as part of the freenas update process? In /var/db/system/update - but they go away after the update finishes.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yes, and it's RAIDZ2 - there's no such thing as ZFS2.

Sorry, yes, that too.
Also, who chose the name 9.10? I'm curious who did that? It's a,.. fascinating choice.

AVB

Contributor
Damn, that means I have to DL the ISO too to have a "backup" of the OS. Nope, much rather have the file on my normal machine and be able to save it. For those of you in the real world it may not matter but I'm so far out in the boonies that air mail is delivered by carrier pigeon. No high speed anything out here. that 420MB ISO file is a minimum of a 2 hr DL

You mean as part of the freenas update process? In /var/db/system/update - but they go away after the update finishes.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I distinctly recall many posts in the FN10 discussion threads, 6 months ago which seemed to indicate BSD10 could / would have all kinds of issues with drivers and hardware for older machines (especially AMD)

Is this not the case? Has anyone else upgraded a HP Microserver N54L?
If I'm reading all the threads correctly on 9.10, it basically sounds like a good stepping stone to FreeNAS 10, correct?

I'm relatively concerned at the general paranoia about being super careful, exhibited on this very forum, yet the announcement of 9.10 seems to be very laidback "she'll be right"
If I've been misled and it's generally very stable and reliable, so be it.

EDIT: upon further reading, it sounds like the way jails are handled in 9.10 will not be the same as FreeNAS10 final either :/ this sounds a little complex / messy, so I will definitely hold out.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
##EDIT##
did some searching, I guess you can have freebsd docker images too! though I think it's really early days, because I haven't found much. but this makes me happy, I won't need to learn how systemd works and can stick to my freebsd rc.d scripts =P

Am I correct in my post above that switching from 9.3 -> 9.10 -> 10 final, may require multiple re-configurations of the jails / plugins? You seem to comprehend this thread better than I do (sorry!)

balamit

Cadet
Hi fellas, found another bug; with afp shares in the 10gbe network, write is over 700MB/s but the read is stuck on 1gbe (120MB/s).

Also having a very hard time getting the plugins running, they just refuse to start, logs doesn't say much.

Back to 9.3 I guess, too bad, I finally got the x540 working with passthrough on 9.10 :(

Last edited:

Darkk

Dabbler
The upgrade of the jails and encrypted volume went without issues so far. :)

However, seems my CA certs are giving Chrome and Firefox the fits when connecting to the FreeNAS WebGUI. IE seems to take it just fine with warnings (typical Microsoft).

In Firefox I get this:

An error occurred during a connection to 10.x.x.x You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information: Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number. Error code: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL

I get the same thing in Chrome. Both running on my Linux Mint 17.3 workstation.

After quick google something about the Serial Number is set to 01 or Zero?

I tried deleting all the CA certs and re-create them. No go. For now I got the http and https enabled until I sort this out.

Thanks.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Partially on topic question:
I've now got 2 identical servers.
How can I take one of my USB keys, with 9.3.1 running on it and put it in the new server, upgrade it for fun / testing and then, when finished - put it back in the 9.3.1 machine and re-clone my 9.3.1 build on to the key for redundancy?
Alternatively, can I run a THIRD USB key on my primary machine, cloning the other 2 keys, then pull that, and use that for testing?
Also when FreeNAS clones a USB key as a boot device, does it mark it as bootable entirely? The keys really are identical?

Rand

Guru
Why dont you simply export the current config and import it on a new 9.3.1. installation? (and then change IPs &such)
If this is for testing that should be sufficient

diskdiddler

Wizard
I guess in theory that would work. Mind you, I don't know how to make a new USB key, are the binaries for 9.3.1 still available for USB? I could only see 9.1 on the front page.

Rand

Guru
I guess in theory that would work. Mind you, I don't know how to make a new USB key, are the binaries for 9.3.1 still available for USB? I could only see 9.1 on the front page.

The USB Key is the installation target (http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html#performing-the-installation), so you get the iso, mount it (or burn it to a cd for oldschool), install to USB.
The ISO can be found here: http://download.freenas.org/9.3.1/
Then you boot from USB and restore the config :)

Alecmascot

Guru
Has anyone else upgraded a HP Microserver N54L?

I have updated an N36L and an N40L.
The N40L required an extra reboot to get Transmission and BTSync working correctly.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I have updated an N36L and an N40L.
The N40L required an extra reboot to get Transmission and BTSync working correctly.
Wow, colour me surprised. Otherwise working fine?

Several people have indicated that it may require slightly more memory, how much is in yours? Mine only has 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.