9.10 is now in Nightlies testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdong

Explorer
So, just to confirm my reading-between-the-lines…. sounds like the plex plugin works on 9.10 nightlies? Tempted to switch over as well… I run FreeBSD elsewhere and from that experience, the difference between 9.3 and 10.x is pretty substantial!

jdong

Explorer
I was able to apply 9.10 and it works great. Another nice benefit of the update is that it supports the aes128/256-gcm OpenSSH ciphers, which with AES-NI on an Avoton seem to be even faster than the AES-CBC ciphers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NickF

Guru
Been up and running for 5 days with 201603120007 without issue.
CIFS performance is the same, including 10G (good!)
Web GUI feels snappier. I always felt the 9.3 GUI was sometimes slow.
Plex is working great.
Have run 2 scrubs since upgrade no issues.

However, went to upgrade to latest nightly today and it says "An Error Has Occurred"

pernils

Explorer
Can confirm that GUI feels snappier. But the cifs browse performance on folders with large set of files went down the drain.

The cifs hack in Auxiliary Parameters: ...

Code:
store dos attributes = No
ea support = no

map archive = no
map hidden = no
map system = no
map readonly = no

vill not change the outcome.

Maybe it have it's roots in the rather high activity in console like ...

Mar 18 10:30:23 archive mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 0000000801407180 3.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) that's already in the list

diehard

Contributor
Now have far higher ARC usage, up from about 90GB to 117GB.. its actually almost worrying to only have 2GB of memory free.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Now have far higher ARC usage, up from about 90GB to 117GB.. its actually almost worrying to only have 2GB of memory free.
There is significantly different memory allocation in FreeBSD 10 kernel, so visible appearance may be different. That is not necessary a problem.

jdong

Explorer
I just noticed that arcstat.py is broken:

[root@freenas] ~# arcstat.py

time read miss miss% dmis dm% pmis pm% mmis mm% arcsz c

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/bin/arcstat.py", line 454, in <module>

main()

File "/usr/local/bin/arcstat.py", line 438, in main

calculate()

File "/usr/local/bin/arcstat.py", line 402, in calculate

v["rmis"] = d["recycle_miss"] / sint

KeyError: 'recycle_miss'

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
its actually almost worrying to only have 2GB of memory free.
Not sure why you'd say that. Empty RAM is wasted RAM. You really only need a small amount for immediate use and you can have the rest attributed to ZFS for ARC (or equivalent mechanisms on other OSes/filesystems), where it can be freed without hassle (just some latency).

diehard

Contributor
Not sure why you'd say that. Empty RAM is wasted RAM. You really only need a small amount for immediate use and you can have the rest attributed to ZFS for ARC (or equivalent mechanisms on other OSes/filesystems), where it can be freed without hassle (just some latency).
Last time i saw memory that low, it started using swap space and eventually killed the storage services on ESXi.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Last time i saw memory that low, it started using swap space and eventually killed the storage services on ESXi.
New kernel memory allocator in FreeBSD 10 is lazy on freeing memory, keeping it as wired until something else requests for it. It is a new page in history with new features and potentially new bugs, just new....

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can confirm that GUI feels snappier. But the cifs browse performance on folders with large set of files went down the drain.

The cifs hack in Auxiliary Parameters: ...

Code:
store dos attributes = No
ea support = no

map archive = no
map hidden = no
map system = no
map readonly = no

vill not change the outcome.

Maybe it have it's roots in the rather high activity in console like ...
New version of samba always means new samba bugs. I'd check /var/log/samba4/log.smbd for clues about what's going on. Maybe also check /var/log/samba4/log.wb*.

jdong

Explorer
I see a bit of an error message in the daily security run output:

Warning: Variable $daily_status_security_diff_flags is deprecated, use $security_status_diff_flags instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I see a bit of an error message in the daily security run output:

Warning: Variable $daily_status_security_diff_flags is deprecated, use $security_status_diff_flags instead.

It is probably only cosmetics, but I've fixed it for the next nightly build.

jdong

Explorer
Thank you, mav@, for fixing these issues so quickly (and taking these informal drive-by bug reports too!)

dAlexis

Dabbler
Will it work in 8GB RAM? My new skylake is currently waiting, and old machine is poor indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.