FreeNAS 8.0.1-beta4 freeze after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsueiro

Cadet
All, greetings!

brand new install of FreeNas 8.0.1-beta4, works without problems with my 2TB WD on a ZFS pool. FreeNAS is installed and running from a 2GB Kingston USB stick.

When I reboot the box, it no longer comes up. Just freezes at the boot screen with this message:

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive1

F6 PXE
\

And that's it. Tried 2 different USB devices to install it, and same results. The boot order on the BIOS is set to read first the USB device.

Anybody with a similar issue? or perhaps a workaround that could help.

Hardware is:
Asus M2N68-LA (Narra6) with 4GB of RAM, 2x2TBWD Caviar Green

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
What other boot / other USB devices do you have plugged in? Did you try and install it on your hard drive?

Its the F5 Drive 1 part that's jumping out at me.

It's definitely booting from USB, there's just some conflict after it starts.

jmsueiro

Cadet
protosd, thanks for your answer. Currently I don't have any other USB devices plugged in :S

I definitely think that it is booting from the USB but something is happening there when it starts. I have an SD card reader connected to the motherboard also (but I'm not currently using it) perhaps that one is causing something. I will try to disconnect it and see what happens.

Didn't tried either to install it on a hard drive because don't have a third one, just the 2TB ones with all my data. If disabling the card reader doesn't work I'll try to find a disk and see if that works better, or will wait to a new release to see if that fixes it.

Thanks !

ProtoSD

MVP
It could be that card reader, I've see where someone has 2 USB sticks in and the same thing happens. Don't try installing to your hard drive, it's not intended to be installed on a hard drive, I was just making sure that wasn't causing problems for you.

ensoniq

Cadet
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms using a Dell PowerEdge R710. No luck unfortunately :(

chris8051

Dabbler
Have same problem with 8.0.1.RC1 on Dell R710

I am having same lockup problem on boot on RC1 on my Dell R710 also any ideas?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am having same lockup problem on boot on RC1 on my Dell R710 also any ideas?
Did any previous version run or is this the first time you have tried FreeNAS 8 ?
When you do the installation are you booting from a CD (iso image)?

chris8051

Dabbler
RC1 Not working on Dell R710

Did any previous version run or is this the first time you have tried FreeNAS 8 ?
When you do the installation are you booting from a CD (iso image)?

I have never run FreeNas 8 on this machine. However 0.7.2 (amd64) does run on the same hardware. (granted the 0.7.2 is booting from CD iso not Flash drive)

In terms of the 8.0.1-RC1 install I am booting from USB flash drive created by the CD ISO

Any ideas?

chris8051

Dabbler
I have never run FreeNas 8 on this machine. However 0.7.2 (amd64) does run on the same hardware. (granted the 0.7.2 is booting from CD iso not Flash drive)

In terms of the 8.0.1-RC1 install I am booting from USB flash drive created by the CD ISO

Any ideas?

IN case this helps here is system info as displayed when running 0.7.2:

Hostname freenas.local
Version 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 7529)
Built on Sat Sep 3 05:09:45 JST 2011
OS Version FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p6 (revision 199506)
Platform amd64-livecd on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5630 @ 2.53GHz
System time
Uptime 12 minute(s) 44 second(s)
Last config change
CPU temperature
°C
°C
°C
°C
°C
°C
°C
°C
CPU frequency 2527MHz

joeschmuck

Old Man
You could try this:

1) Unplug your hard drives. (Only to protect your data)
2) Try to boot RC-1. If that fails boot nightly build 7520 (only because I know it works for me).
3) If either boot reconnect your hard drives and boot again. If it fails you may need to save off any data on your drives and reformat them. If this works I would suspect one of your drives was a boot drive causing issues but that is purely a guess. There are people here who can help you with that.
4) Report your findings.
5) If you can't get it to run without the hard drives, I'm thinking you will have to wait for another release or move back to 0.7.2. But it is does fail ensure you write a ticket and list all your hardware (be very specific with model numbers).

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.