Help with install

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiny861

Cadet
I just finished installing to a USB and now when i reboot, all i get is the following, as i see it on the screen

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive1

F6 PXE
Boot: F1 #################################

and the pound continues forever. Any ideas?

jester

Cadet
Same scenario here,

Old Dell PowerEdge 850. Left it for a few hours, no error messages nothing. Any hints on how to proceed or debug are appreciated.

Thanx!

Tekkie

Patron
Did anyone of you read the forum rules on posting? :(

Both posting lack all information for anyone to even try and answer them, for example which version of FreeNAS did you install?

PS. You are not leaning on the keyboard while the system starts eyh? Try unplugging it and see what happens.

jester

Cadet
Hi Tekkie,

Thanx for your reply.

Since it is the FreeNAS 8 forum i presumed... But, it's a clean FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386 install, and i was not leaning on the keyboard ;)

I've also tried another USB stick (same result), but i guess if the stick was the problem it would not install on it in the first place.

I'm not really familiar with BSD, is there somehow i can get some on-screen messages/logs/debugging of sorts going so i can give you some sensible info?

Regards.

Tekkie

Patron
Not at that stage especially if you cannot get past the boot partition selection.

What CPU do you have?

Svere

Dabbler
Ive had the same problem first. Ive tried to install FreeNAS on my CF-Card by using a programm called Roadkil`s Disk Image (and another programm) on my Win7-PC. I tried it x-times, but it wont run. I solved the problem by installing FreeNAS on the NAS-System from the Install-CD. Now FreeNAS runs fine!
Hope that helps you too!

Svere

jester

Cadet
In retrospect checked the md5 sums of the downloaded iso's. Also tried both the i386 and amd64 versions... both the same result, only: #############... . Also tried yet another usb-stick to no avail.

Tekkie

Patron
Have you tried any of the alternative methods for transferring the image to the CF card?

PS. If your CPU is 64bit make sure you use the AMD64 image.

jester

Cadet
Have you tried any of the alternative methods for transferring the image to the CF card?

Yes, used xzcat and dd as described here with FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64.Full_Install.xz on 2 different USB sticks.

But still the same result: #############################....

hi I have the same issue using a 4gb CF card.

FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-i386-Full_Install

pentium 4
700mb'ish' ram

any help apreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.