Freenas 11 volume setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don.

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I've just installed the Freenas 11 and gone into the Wizard.
I'm on the Volume setup page and would like to setup my drives using the Media option.

Unfortunately the only options available are Automatic, and Logs.
Is there any reason why the other options are greyed out?

Any suggestions as to why I cant select the Media (Raid Z1) option?

PS I do intend setting up a USB backup for freenas

Attachments

• Freenas.PNG
    Freenas.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 417

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

joeschmuck

Old Man
The Wizard trys to provide you with the best options given your hardware. In this situation I'd recommend you select "Automatic" which will create a Mirror even though it doesn't specifically state that is what would be created (I think a minor bug report is required here).

One other option is to just exit the Wizard and manually setup the pool. Once the pool has been established you could restart the Wizard and it will skip the question about the pool since it already exists. But a Mirror is better than a RAID-Z1 two drive pool. They are basically the same thing but not. Once you have more hard drives you can create your RAID-Z1 if that is what you desire. Please keep in mind that we here on the forums promote a RAID-Z2 for large drives and you have two 8TB drives. For some friendly advice, please state how you expect to use FreeNAS and we will provide you some sound advice. This advice would help you see potiential problems you may not have thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.