Jail storage on different volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimGeerts

Dabbler
My FreeNAS setup at the moment is as follows, I've got two volumes;
1) "Storage" volume, consisting of 2x2x2 TB mirrors (so, 4 2TB disks, two by two in mirrors)
2) "FreeNAS" volume, 250GB SSD drive (stripe)

I've set my jail root on the FreeNAS volume, because I wanted to use that drive for all installs that I do (plugins, virtualbox, etc...).
When testing out my setup yesterday, I installed the OwnCloud plugin, and it installed in the FreeNAS volume as a jail (which is good!). I was however hoping that I could point it's storage to my "Storage" volume.

What I did was;
1) Add storage to the jail
2) Source: a Cloud folder (sorry, dataset) on my "Storage" volume
3) Destination: created a /data folder within the owncloud folder structure on the "FreeNAS" volume (not a subfolder of that default /media folder, maybe that's the issue?)

First of all, I'm not too sure what these two settings do, as it feels counter intuitive to use a certain folder as "Source" where I would actually want that folder to be the destination of the files that I'd put in OwnCloud.
And secondly, when testing it out (it worked), I added a 500 MB file to my OwnCloud via its web interface, and checked for "used space" changes accross my volume.
I noticed that those 500MB got added to my FreeNAS volume size, and my "Storage" volume size remained unchanged. So, my guess is, those files did not get put on my "Storage" volume, but directly inside the jail....

To clarify, the reason I want my files to be stored on another volume, is because that volume is a mirrored volume, intended for pure storage. So, understandably, I would want my cloud data to be mirrored as well. And on top of that, there a lot more room on my storage mirrors then there is on my SSD.

If there are certain resources I would best read before asking questions like these, feel free to point them out! I've read a lot about the volumes/datasets jails, storage stuff yesterday, but didn't really find what I was looking for.
Also, appologies for not adding screenshots here, I'm not phisically at my server at the moment so I can't show you the configuration I've set up (which is why I typed it out above, at the best of my knowledge).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
My FreeNAS setup at the moment is as follows, I've got two volumes;
1) "Storage" volume, consisting of 2x2x2 TB mirrors (so, 4 2TB disks, two by two in mirrors)
2) "FreeNAS" volume, 250GB SSD drive (stripe)

I've set my jail root on the FreeNAS volume, because I wanted to use that drive for all installs that I do (plugins, virtualbox, etc...).
When testing out my setup yesterday, I installed the OwnCloud plugin, and it installed in the FreeNAS volume as a jail (which is good!). I was however hoping that I could point it's storage to my "Storage" volume.

What I did was;
1) Add storage to the jail
2) Source: a Cloud folder (sorry, dataset) on my "Storage" volume
3) Destination: created a /data folder within the owncloud folder structure on the "FreeNAS" volume (not a subfolder of that default /media folder, maybe that's the issue?)

First of all, I'm not too sure what these two settings do, as it feels counter intuitive to use a certain folder as "Source" where I would actually want that folder to be the destination of the files that I'd put in OwnCloud.
And secondly, when testing it out (it worked), I added a 500 MB file to my OwnCloud via its web interface, and checked for "used space" changes accross my volume.
I noticed that those 500MB got added to my FreeNAS volume size, and my "Storage" volume size remained unchanged. So, my guess is, those files did not get put on my "Storage" volume, but directly inside the jail....

To clarify, the reason I want my files to be stored on another volume, is because that volume is a mirrored volume, intended for pure storage. So, understandably, I would want my cloud data to be mirrored as well. And on top of that, there a lot more room on my storage mirrors then there is on my SSD.

If there are certain resources I would best read before asking questions like these, feel free to point them out! I've read a lot about the volumes/datasets jails, storage stuff yesterday, but didn't really find what I was looking for.
Also, appologies for not adding screenshots here, I'm not phisically at my server at the moment so I can't show you the configuration I've set up (which is why I typed it out above, at the best of my knowledge).
Just connecting /data to another storage doesn't make owncloud automatically use it for storage....

TimGeerts

Dabbler
Just connecting /data to another storage doesn't make owncloud automatically use it for storage....
That's what I noticed, and of course, this is quite logical, hence the question as to how I should configure owncloud so that it DOES use another volume for storage. If at all possible.
If it's not possible, I will just set my jail root back on my storage volume, and leave the SSD drive for something else...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's what I noticed, and of course, this is quite logical, hence the question as to how I should configure owncloud so that it DOES use another volume for storage. If at all possible.
If it's not possible, I will just set my jail root back on my storage volume, and leave the SSD drive for something else...
You need to look at settings in owncloud. I think the way people are doing it is with a plugin that uses "external storage" and point it to your /data directory

TimGeerts

Dabbler
Ok, so, the External Storage plugin for owncloud was indeed the option I was looking for! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
What I did was, share the dataset that I had created on my FreeNAS as a CIFS share, added that CIFS share as external storage in owncloud. And that's all actually!
Now, if I store files in that folder, it will be stored on my mirrored volume on FreeNAS.
The only thing I couldn't find (but, isn't that important in my case) is to set the default folder to that external storage folder, so you actually never get the option to save stuff outside that folder. But again, I'm the only user (and my girlfriend) to be using the cloud for synching stuff, so, not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.