Setup Wizard Didn't Enable Encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprez

Explorer
Hello,

I just installed FreeNAS 9.10 on my new hardware using a SuperMicro board, 32 GB ECC Ram, Xeon CPU and 4 TB Red Drives.

Upon installation, I entered the GUI and was prompted to enter my language, keyboard map and timezone...easy enough.

Next screen prompted me to enter a pool name and select the purpose - I selected media as that will be the primary use.

As i'm new to FreeNAS, I would have suspected the Wizard would have asked me whether or not to enable encryption but that didn't occur. If I go into Volume Manager it looks like there is an option there for me to enable encryption but there are no drives for me to select.

So my question is - should I have disregarded the Wizard and just used the volume manager to configure my server? I read the guide and also watched the official FreeNAS video on YouTube but it made no reference and used the wizard on the video.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So my question is - should I have disregarded the Wizard and just used the volume manager to configure my server?

If you want encryption, yes.

The wizard is supposed to cover 99% of users with a "very basic setup". Encryption already puts you in the 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.