New to FreeNas - Can't create Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancr3

Cadet
I admit to being a total N00b to FreeNas - but was feeling like I needed a project - ha!

Anyway, I started with a new setup, with 4-3TB drives, ready to install 9.3.1 . All was going well, and I even changed to a static IP address. But I can't get a volume created! I followed the prompts - skipping the directory service screen. Created a windows share, a user, and a group from the Wizard. I did not setup the email server.

It seemed to work, but the volume did not show up in the volume manager. The disks did show, however.

I even reinstalled from new. Oddly enough the volume name I thought I created showed up when I ran the wizard again - but still, nothing appeared.

What could I be doing wrong? If I need to post more info - screen shots, log files, let me know.

Thanks.

D

dlavigne

Can you post a screenshot of your Storage -> Volumes? If there's no entry in that listing, do the disks show as available in the drag slider if you click Volume Manager?

Dancr3

Cadet
Yes, I see the disks:

upload_2015-9-2_15-33-7.png

upload_2015-9-2_15-34-4.png

Not sure why it's saying "no more drives" above

D

dlavigne

Since the drives are showing up in the drag and drop in Volume Manager, you do not have a volume yet. Assuming you want to create a type of RAIDZ (rather than a mirror), drag the slider up and to the right to select all 4 disks in a row. This should activate the volume layout drop-down menu so you can pick RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2

Dancr3

Cadet
That worked! For some reason the Wizard was not working. Dragging the slider over until the Raid2 option popped up did the trick. Odd that the wizard didn't work, but at least now I have a volume and can move forward with the rest.

Thanks dlavigne!
(and tx too pirate ghost - I didn't want l2arc but I didn't see Raid2 until I followed dlavigne's instructions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.