Can't completely create a volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schorschi

Cadet
I have FreeNAS setup, created a volume based on IDE disk just fine. Create a volume on same box that happens to be a RAID 5 set, on PERC4 controller, disk is seen just fine, /dev/amrd, size is correct, et. But when I create the volume, say /mnt/scsi, it shows up in the GUI, but when I click on the permissions item for the volume, I get 'sorry! an error has occured' dialog? And this same volume is not visible anywhere else in the GUI, including not listed under View All Volumes. Since I am new to FreeNAS, this seems odd, that it creates the volume, it appears, but is useless.

schorschi

Cadet
Can't completely create a volume, final chapter!

Well, after digging into this a bit, I realized what the issue was, 1) LSI Megaraid is supported to a respectable degree/level on FreeBSD, so that was not it. 2) when I tried to access /dev/amr0 via fdisk under FreeNAS, got an can't read block size error, and dmesg was showing read error 0x1 messages, so this was not a case of where the driver was missing but that the disk could not be read. So, thinking this might be an issue because the original SCSI disk (logical volume at controller level) since it was a RAID 5 based 5 disk with hot-spare disk setup, once formatted under Fedora 16 as LVM, I re-initialized the logical volume via the PERC 4 controller interface, and now FreeNAS can see it and establish a volume as expected. This the same issue that a number of installers/OSes have where they cannot or will not overwrite the existing file system, which makes no sense, for and end-user perspective. NTFS and LVM seem to be the the consistent in causes this types of issues for a OS that comes behind the original OS on repurposed equipment as in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.