Can't create zfs volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

larzeb

Dabbler
I am so lost. I thought I was creating a raidz2 volume from 6x1tb, but all I see in the left pane is /mnt/freedat. It does not show in the View Volumes pane on the right.

I can tell it is composed of a single disk, because when I go into zfs manager, I see only 5 disks from which to choose to create another volume.

How do I get rid of this thing so I can create the raidz2 volume?

panz

Guru
Please go to the command line and do:

zpool status -v

Then paste the results here in pastebin formatted text

larzeb

Dabbler
Here is the screenshot of both.
Screenshot from 2014-04-13 06:51:08.png

panz

Guru
1) you haven't ZFS pools;

2) did you create UFS file systems?

larzeb

Dabbler
At one time I did create UFS file systems. But I detached the freedat volume, marking the disks as new. Then I go and attempt to create a raidz2 volume from six disks. It sees all six disks. I 'Add volume', it puts out a message/progress bar for a few seconds and appears to complete.

But there is no volume displayed in the 'View volumes' area. Does it take a while? Also, I can go back into zfs manager and it still shows six disks available. This is the source of my confusion. Am I supposed to wait for some time to allow the array to initialize? After creating the zfs volume, the command 'zpool status -v' displays no pools available.

Crypto

Cadet
I am having the same issue.
Trying to setup my ZFS file manager and don’t see ZFS as one of the options. I see all four of my disks. After naming my volume name and clicking on the first available disks, the only options I have are Mirror, Stripe, Log, Cache and Spare. No ZFS option.
At the moment I have no active volumes.
Any thoughts?

tia

gpsguy

You need to click and drag the round icon, so that all of your disks are elected.

After naming my volume name and clicking on the first available disks, the only options I have are Mirror, Stripe, Log, Cache and Spare.

Crypto

Cadet
For some reason I couldn't do that. Looked at several youtube videos to make sure I was doing it correctly. Ended up doing it manually. So far so good.

gpsguy

From the command line? If so, there's a good chance that'll come back to bite you down the road. FreeNAS is an appliance and it expects that you do most of the work from the webGUI. If done manually, you may run into problems if you ever need to replace a disk.

What version of FreeNAS do you have?

Did you add a 2Gb swap partition on each drive? Did you create the pool using gptid's?

Ended up doing it manually.

Crypto

Cadet
I used the webGUI. ZFS file manager/manual setup. Did not add 2gb swap partition. Didn't know. Need to read up on this.

Using the latest and greatest 9.2.2.3 x64.

Had no time yesterday and it will be later on this week before I have the time to set this up for my media server.

A little history. I am trying Freenas on a desktop home computer. It doesn’t have ecc mem or a supermicro board. But if all goes well I am not against going the full server route. Just not now.

I tried a earlier version of freenas. It would never install. Bought a new scandisk usb drive and installed freenas on it. Had a conflict with a cd drive. Disconnected the drive and the install went good but couldn’t drag the icon for the ZFS setup. Same with the newer version of freenas. Not sure what the issue is but I worked around this with the manual setup.

Could my problem be that I am not using ecc memory or some other hardware related? I have 8gb ddr3 ram. Enough, yes? May have more on hand.

gpsguy

Please check your version number, the latest is 9.2.1.4.1.

Enough RAM? You haven't told us anything about your system spec's, other than to say it's a desktop without ECC RAM.

Before you go any further, I'd install the latest and retry using the webGUI to configure your volume. Obviously you didn't realize the swap was recommended. While you size your system sufficient so you have adequate RAM, having the ability to swap to disk might be the difference between a slow running system and a pool that dies and takes your data with it.

I'd also suggest that you try a disk swap - see the instructions in the manual. My guess, is there's a good chance that you'll have problems with it (due to the manual setup). It would be good to know that now, before you get in a situation where your data is at risk and things aren't working, due to doing a manual configuration, done incorrectly.

Crypto

Cadet
Just downloaded and installed 9.2.1.4 x64. Same issue with the ZFS file manager. Will try disk swapping later today or tomorrow. Yea, the last thing I want are problems. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.