Help! I can't create the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

filpul

Cadet
I have a big basic problem: I can't create the volume with "ufs volume manager". I see the hard disks (2) singularly, but when I try to create the volume (mirror) nothing happened. I tried to mount them singularly and the system mounted them with an indication of error (they are now formatted in NTFS). If I try to create the volume, when I click to create the volume and then to format the disks... nothing, no indication. Could you help me, please?

Thank you

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? What is the exact error when you try to mount the disks?

gpsguy

You might try running CHKDSK on them (from Windows), before using them with FreeNAS.

Or, just download dban (www.dban.org), create a boot cd, and use that utililty to do a quick erase of your hard disks.

btw, in the message you posted in the Italian section you mentioned this is an "old pc". How old? What are the detailed system spec's.

also note, that support for UFS will be removed in future versions of FreeNAS.

filpul

Cadet
dlavigne, I use the version 9.2.1.5. When I look in "view disks" all seems ok, there are two disks. But if I look storage in "Used" there is the indication "0 (Error)" and in Available there is "Error getting available space".

gpsguy, why do you say to erase the disks? I used them with Windows until some days ago and I reformatted to erase all (NTFS).
My old pc is 10 years old but it is a Pentium D, 3 Ghz.
I chose UFS because I have only 2Gb of RAM

Thank you

gpsguy

Just run DBAN against them as I suggested. That will blank them - no formatting, so that you can use them with FreeNAS.

Sent from my phone

filpul

Cadet
I run DBAN and then ok: I created the volume and automounted it. In FreeNAS all ok, but I don't see it from Windows. I can't use it!

ah! I have forgotten: I set Services-CIFS with all the parameters that I found in the FreeNAS Guide, apart from "Authentication Model" that I must set to "Anonymous", but I don't see this box to set it.
And I set new user "guest" with no pwd login.

Why can't I access from Explorer?

Thank you

gpsguy

Diid you enable CIFS (turn it on)? You may need to restart after doing so.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.