problem creating a new volume on a single hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsp2267

Cadet
Hello all, I want to use FreeNAS to serve out NFS, CIFS, and iSCSI to test some Linux configuration work. I have created a FreeNAS virtual machine in VMware Workstation. It installs OK, I've configured the network and it has connectvity.
The VM has 4 SCSI drives; da0 (where FreeNAS is installed), da1, da2, da3.

FreeNAS 8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288)

When I fire up the WebGUI and try to create a new volume, I get the following error;

Error:[Middleware Error: unable to GPT format the disk "da1"]

I don't know if the board software will let me, but I have a screenshot of the WebGUI showing the error message; let me know if you want that.

The settings I am using in the Create Volume dialog box are;
volume name = mynfs
member disks = da1 (1.1 GB)
filesystem type = UFS

I've also tried ZFS, same result.

Some time ago I was able to create a RAID array, on which I created an NFS share that was accessible to other hosts on the LAN. But I cannot seem to create a volume on a single hard disk.

Can anyone help?

ProtoSD

MVP
member disks = da1 (1.1 GB)

I think your partition is too small, try something larger like 4GB. I there there needs to be some checking from the GUI for minimum size... The only other thing to try if that doesn't work is wiping the disk.

Hope that helps.

dsp2267

Cadet
I don't understand why, but protosd's suggestion appears to work. I created a new VM, installed FreeNAS on a 2 GB SCSI disk, then added a 4 GB SCSI disk, and I have successfully created a volume on da1 that shows up in View All Volumes. Quite weird, as the GPT partition table format should have no problem with smaller disks. I'm very glad you suggested disk size, as that wouldn't have occurred to me. I tried IDE vs SCSI, adding only one disk at a time, etc.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be back with more Qs over the weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.