Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

Yakje

Explorer
I know this is a complete noob question, but you have to start somewhere.
1. When I installed Plex I made a generic Jail using the GUI. --- In this write up it does not mention how to manually create the jail from the shell? or --Am I supposed to use the GUI to set up the jail shell? and Then from within the jail using shell runt he pkg update etc....?

I don't think it's a silly question at all, had to figure out allot of things myself by asking "noob" questions on the forums. It's what the support section is for ;)

What you expained is exactly what you have to do.
1. Create a generic jail using the FreeNas GUI
2. Add storage to that jail using the FreeNas GUI
3. Click the "Shell" button from within the FreeNas GUI
4. Follow the guide from there, executing the commands inside the jail's shell

dmoore0157

Cadet
I don't think it's a silly question at all, had to figure out allot of things myself by asking "noob" questions on the forums. It's what the support section is for ;)

Thank you! I figured that was the process, but you know what happens to those who assume. LOL A small part of me was thinking that maybe a couple of these run inside the same jail with the plex. However, I had a much larger part saying that can't be because they all get their own IP's at the end.

Thanks Again!! I am looking forward to completing these installs tonight and utilizing the new toys for plex.

dmoore0157

Cadet

LOL :) Well, I'm stuck again. I have no idea on how to create the rcfile for the Ombi application. Plus, when I just try to navigate to the location for the rcfile to be created the ombi directory doesn't seem to exist. cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ombi <---- no ombi. It says use your favorite editor for the rcfile, and when I read that I assumed notepad would work. HELP! haha

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these forums they are very helpful. However, I can't even find much on rcfiles through google.

Yakje

Explorer
LOL :) Well, I'm stuck again. I have no idea on how to create the rcfile for the Ombi application. Plus, when I just try to navigate to the location for the rcfile to be created the ombi directory doesn't seem to exist. cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ombi <---- no ombi. It says use your favorite editor for the rcfile, and when I read that I assumed notepad would work. HELP! haha

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these forums they are very helpful. However, I can't even find much on rcfiles through google.

Funny i had the exact same problem when i started. What i think most people do is "pkg install nano" which is a cli text editor and then make the rc file from within the shell. What i did however was open up a SFTP connection with FileZilla, then navigate to the rc file location of another jail you already succesfully installed (in my case this was sonarr). Download the sonarr rc file to ur desktop (windows in my case), change the name of the file to "ombi". Now open the file in ur favorite editor (i used notepad++). Delete the code inside, which is sonarr's rc file, then copy and paste the rc file for ombi (which Pentaflake posted in the guide) inside, save it and upload it inside the ombi jail to: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

dmoore0157

Cadet
Funny i had the exact same problem when i started. What i think most people do is "pkg install nano" which is a cli text editor and then make the rc file from within the shell. What i did however was open up a SFTP connection with FileZilla, then navigate to the rc file location of another jail you already succesfully installed (in my case this was sonarr). Download the sonarr rc file to ur desktop (windows in my case), change the name of the file to "ombi". Now open the file in ur favorite editor (i used notepad++). Delete the code inside, which is sonarr's rc file, then copy and paste the rc file for ombi (which Pentaflake posted in the guide) inside, save it and upload it inside the ombi jail to: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

Wow! I finally was able to work some similar magic using notepad ++, notepad, and playing around with various cmds.
After many attempts to get nano to install and run I gave up, I dis some deeper digging and noticed someone commenting using “ee” in place of nano. So I copied the code from the rcfile in the forum initially pasted into notepad. -quickly learned that copy and pastes are not equal. At which time I DL notepad ++ copied the code again and pasted into np ++. Using the EOL tools I formatted the file to compensate for the paragraph and line distortions when pasted into the shell file. I opened the shell again ran: edit /ombi , ran the appropriate copy in np++ and pasted into the shell the code. I still had to do some minor tweaking to the formatting but after some trial and error managed to get an rcfile named ombi to work. This very novice adventure may be the first of my co trubution to this community. I was blown away at the overall assumption that creating an rcfile is a given. Given as in it being previewed by the communities not just here but across the netscapes of the entire web. There was a point I was thinking to myself how dumb am I? Lol this knowledge is so basic no one has bothered to approach it.
There is a saying I try to live and work by: “Work smarter not harder, but when you work hard be sure it’s at working smarter.” Thanks again for all your help, I am beginning to slowly grasp and obtain a foot hold on this Linux, FreeBSD, cmd, shell, and various tech jargon.

dmoore0157

Cadet

root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service radarr start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: ./etc/rc.subr: Permission denied
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: load_rc_config: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :NO: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :radarr: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :/config: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: run_rc_command: not found
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d #

Obviously I am having some issues here with starting Radarr... Could someone please help point me in the direction to fixing this.
1. Why is "permission denied"? -what did I do wrong LOL
2. Is the not found due to the permission denial?
3. Does anyone else start to get a touch of the twitches setting up and configuring these things? or is it just me? haha

Yakje

Explorer

root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service radarr start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: ./etc/rc.subr: Permission denied
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: load_rc_config: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :NO: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :/config: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: run_rc_command: not found
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d #

Obviously I am having some issues here with starting Radarr... Could someone please help point me in the direction to fixing this.
1. Why is "permission denied"? -what did I do wrong LOL
2. Is the not found due to the permission denial?
3. Does anyone else start to get a touch of the twitches setting up and configuring these things? or is it just me? haha

1. are you sure you added the user inside the jail using:
Code:
pw user add radarr -c radarr -u 352 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin

and gave it persmissions using:
Code:
chown -R radarr:radarr /usr/local/share/Radarr
chown -R radarr:radarr /config

2. It seems like there is no Radarr rc file at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
Can you check if there is one, and if so post it here?
3. Nobody said it's easy ;)

dmoore0157

Cadet
1.A. Yes, user is added.
Code:
fbtab				   netstart				rc.d					zfs
freebsd-update.conf	 network.subr			rc.firewall
fstab				   networks				rc.initdiskless
ftpusers				newsyslog.conf		  rc.resume
root@radarr:/etc # chown -R radarr:radarr /usr/local/share/radarr
chown: /usr/local/share/radarr: No such file or directory
root@radarr:/etc # clear
root@radarr:/etc # cd ..
root@radarr:/ # clear
root@radarr:/ # cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # ls -a
.			   ..			  git_daemon	  pbid			radarr		  svnserve
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # cd /radarr
/radarr: No such file or directory.
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # cd radarr
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # ls -a
.	   ..	  radarr
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # service radarr start
env: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: Permission denied
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # chown -R radarr:radarr /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # service radarr start
env: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: Permission denied
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # cd radarr
radarr: Not a directory.
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # ls -a
.	   ..	  radarr
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # ls -1
radarr
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr # file radarr
radarr: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable
root@radarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr #

2.A. The radarr rcfile was in the wrong spot I fixed it and now I am only getting Permission denied. Sounds like it should be an easy fix, but I can't seem to figure out why.
3.A. Nobody said anything but me to myself... "Hey that server plex stuff looks pretty darn cool I think I'll give it a go...." ..."it'll be fun", I said. SMH :p

1. are you sure you added the user inside the jail using:
Code:
pw user add radarr -c radarr -u 352 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin

and gave it persmissions using:
Code:
chown -R radarr:radarr /usr/local/share/Radarr
chown -R radarr:radarr /config

2. It seems like there is no Radarr rc file at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
Can you check if there is one, and if so post it here?
3. Nobody said it's easy ;)

dmoore0157

Cadet
OK, I managed to resolve the before issue. and now I get....
Code:
root@radarr:/ # service radar status
radar does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable
root@radarr:/ # service radarr status
radarr is not running.
root@radarr:/ # service radarr start
Starting radarr.
root@radarr:/ # service radarr status
radarr is not running.
root@radarr:/ # Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whyservice radarr statusservice radarr statusservice radarr statusservice radarr statusservice radarr statusservice radarr statusservice radarr status
Whyservice: Command not found.
root@radarr:/ # service radarr restart
radarr not running? (check /config/nzbdrone.pid).
Starting radarr.
root@radarr:/ # ^ when I go to /config/nzbdrone.pid <---- nzbdrone doesn't exist.  how can I fix this?

I do not know enough about this kind of stuff to know how to get "nzbdrone.pid" where it needs to be or locate it for that matter. Yikes! thinking of removing the jail and starting over....

wywywywy

Dabbler
You are not quite doing it right.

The script should be "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr" not "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr/radarr". I.e. the "radarr" text file should be in the "rc.d" directory. There shouldn't be a "radarr" sub-directory.

So firstly remove them
rm -rf /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr

Then create a new text file
edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr
And paste the content in, and save it.

Then make it executable
chmod u+x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr

I have Plex installed and working as per the guide. I've just tried setting up Plex DVR which finds my device and channels, etc. But I get the error "There was a problem saving your DVR. Please try again.".. which I presume is a permissions error.

The apps folder and media folder are 777.

Anyone have any ideas?

dmoore0157

Cadet
Thank you for the tip. I thought that I had it set up correctly. I think I have the rcfile thing down now; or so I thought, but I have ran into issues when setting just about everyone of these things up. Actually, not a complaint though. I feel each one has been a learning experience and I am getting better at self trouble shooting.

You are not quite doing it right.

The script should be "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr" not "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr/radarr". I.e. the "radarr" text file should be in the "rc.d" directory. There shouldn't be a "radarr" sub-directory.

So firstly remove them
rm -rf /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr

Then create a new text file
edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr
And paste the content in, and save it.

Then make it executable
chmod u+x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr

dmoore0157

Cadet
Can you clarify what you mean,

are the folders owned/managed by the UID and GID 777? What is your DVR hardware setup? are you sure its all compatible?

I have Plex installed and working as per the guide. I've just tried setting up Plex DVR which finds my device and channels, etc. But I get the error "There was a problem saving your DVR. Please try again.".. which I presume is a permissions error.

Anyone have any ideas?

ricardomga

Cadet
Hello to all, many thanks for this tutorial.

Can I ask to add nextcloud setup to the tutorial if possible? Or do you recommend installing the plugin?

Thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I ask to add nextcloud setup to the tutorial if possible?
Nextcloud is a completely different system, and probably belongs in its own jail. There are already detailed instructions here on setting it up.

rio236

Dabbler
FreeNAS v11.0-U2
Plex (with Plex Pass) v1.7.5.4035

Hi, I'm attempting to install PlexPy as per the instructions listed, and have a problem with the mounts:

Code:
/mnt/tank1/apps/plex/Plex Media Server/logs  --->  /plexlogs  (Readonly)
/mnt/tank1/apps/plexpy  --->  /config

My Plex install which is in /mnt/tank/Jails/PlexMediaServer doesn't have a /logs directory, so am unable to mount it.

For the second mount, aren't I putting in a circular reference here, by mounting my PlexPy jail on itself? PlexPy is to be installed in /mnt/tank/Jails/PlexPy.

Am I just misunderstanding something?

Yours
Jonathan
I need some clarification please.
Plex Plex Media Server dir is here, /mnt/tank1/apps/plex and it includes the 'Logs' dir.

What do I do next in regards to:
'/mnt/tank1/apps/plex/Plex Media Server/logs /plexlogs (Readonly)'

Thanks.

aunsoenr

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have been running radarr for over 8 months but recently it became unstable. Maybe after some updates. I followed these directions to make a new radarr jail but cannot get it to work (I am on freenas 11).

I cannot set permission to /config as suggested in the directions (because there is no /config directory).

I can type "service radar start" > "starting radarr."

Check the status "servce radarr status" > "radarr not running."

Any idea where I would have to deviate from the instructions to get radarr to start?

Thank you,

splitslim

Cadet
Sonarr will not start for me. When I manually run what is in the rc.d file, I see that fdatasync is an undefined symbol?

root@sonarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/local/share/sonarr/NzbDrone.exe --nobrowser --data=/config
[Info] Bootstrap: Starting Sonarr - /usr/local/share/sonarr/NzbDrone.exe - Version 2.0.0.5054
[Info] AppFolderInfo: Data directory is being overridden to [/config]
[Info] Router: Application mode: Interactive
[Info] MigrationLogger: *** Migrating data source=/config/nzbdrone.db;cache size=-10485760;datetimekind=Utc;journal mode=Wal;pooling=True;version=3 ***
/usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so: Undefined symbol "fdatasync"
root@sonarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d #

My jail version is;
root@sonarr:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # freebsd-version
11.0-RELEASE-p1

Last edited:

splitslim

Cadet
After some additional research, ftdatasync is a system call only available on 11.1 and after. Both the jail version and the FN version do not include this system call. Installing sqlite3 from pkg causes this problem. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.