Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

Pentaflake

Explorer

Patrick1227

Cadet
I am having trouble. when setting up a new jail with iocage on the second step. I type in
(iocage create -n "plex" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|10.0.1.161/21” defaultrouter=“10.0.1.1” vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on").
I get unmatched ' " '. It is probably something simple but I have been trying for a few hours. please help...
Edit I figured it out I copied and pasted it and a " was copied weird

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
So why change to this iocage stuff?
The simplest answer is probably that FreeNAS itself is changing its jail management to iocage from warden. If things go as planned, warden will be going away entirely with 11.2. But iocage is said to bring many benefits to jail management. The two that I remember seeing are (1) you can upgrade the OS template to keep pace with your FreeNAS version (under warden, you'd have to rebuild your jails with each major release), and (2) plugins should be much simpler to create.

Wolfeman0101

Patron
I'd been having issues with Organizr in the old warden jails but your guide now it works right.

Is this part correct? Right after the git clone you have:
Code:
iocage exec organizr ln -s /config/config.php /usr/local/www/Organizr/config/config.php

And then after setting up the db and timezone you have this:
Code:
iocage exec organizr cp -a /usr/local/www/Organizr/config/config.php /config/config.php
iocage exec organizr rm /usr/local/www/Organizr/config/config.php
iocage exec organizr ln -s /config/config.php /usr/local/www/Organizr/config/config.php

It seems wrong to me but I am a noob.

Pentaflake

Explorer
I'd been having issues with Organizr in the old warden jails but your guide now it works right.

Is this part correct? Right after the git clone you have:
Code:

And then after setting up the db and timezone you have this:
Code:
iocage exec organizr cp -a /usr/local/www/Organizr/config/config.php /config/config.php
iocage exec organizr rm /usr/local/www/Organizr/config/config.php

It seems wrong to me but I am a noob.

Indeed it is that was from my own notes when I rebuilt mine I have removed the line that shouldn't be there and clarified the next section.

What danb35 said is the exact reasons why, this is going to be the way of the future. If you look at the beta ui creating a jail there actually creates an iocage one instead of a warden based one. In addition with some of these applications that are broken on 11.0 due to sqlite3 issues they are working again 11.1 via an iocage jail.

Wolfeman0101

Patron
Yeah it seems like a better system. I think I'm going to rebuild everything in iocage and use that config folder so I can backup my settings easier.

Wolfeman0101

Patron
Caught a typo.
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver_plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json

should be
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver-plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json

Wolfeman0101

Patron
I'm running into issues with Plex. Everything works but the last command gives me an error:
Code:
root@Packers:/mnt/vol1/apps/plex # iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
install: chmod 755 /config/Plex Media Server: Operation not permitted
install: chmod 755 /config/Plex: Operation not permitted
Starting plexmediaserver_plexpass.

root@Packers:/mnt/vol1/apps/plex #

And when I browse to http://<JailIP>:32400 I get an XML page even though Plex is running

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
I'm running into issues with Plex. Everything works but the last command gives me an error:
Code:
root@Packers:/mnt/vol1/apps/plex # iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
install: chmod 755 /config/Plex Media Server: Operation not permitted
install: chmod 755 /config/Plex: Operation not permitted
Starting plexmediaserver_plexpass.

root@Packers:/mnt/vol1/apps/plex #

And when I browse to http://<JailIP>:32400 I get an XML page even though Plex is running
add /web at the end of the address

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk

snorbaard

Dabbler
Sorry if this is dealt with elsewhere, but how to I update one of the new iocage installs?
For example, there's a newer version available of the Plexpass version which I can download manually (tarred), but how do I actually upgrade the app?

Last edited:

ryanakata

Explorer
I came to report the incorrect plexpass command but looks like Wolfeman0101 already had pointed that out.

How do we change the directory at which iocage jails are installed? Using the guide gets plex up and running, however, it is running off of what I assume is my flash drive OS Install as everything is capped at 3-4MBps and not my existing SSD for jails.

Once I can get this onto the jail ssd I have, I hope to copy my plex config over from the warden jail and restart plex to have everything migrated over.

snorbaard

Dabbler
Trying to get Sonarr up and running, and not getting anywhere. It seems that starting the service fails (but without any logging). Starting the app with straight up /usr/local/share/NzbDrone # mono --debug NzbDrone.exe when I iocage console into the cage brings up a nice long list of information, after which the app starts running, but trying getting a status immediately after a iocage exec sonarr service sonarr start just shows it hasn't started.

I hope I messed up somewhere, but I straight copied and pasted the rc.d/sonarrr contents into nano. Any help would be appreciated.

snorbaard

Dabbler
I came to report the incorrect plexpass command but looks like Wolfeman0101 already had pointed that out.

How do we change the directory at which iocage jails are installed? Using the guide gets plex up and running, however, it is running off of what I assume is my flash drive OS Install as everything is capped at 3-4MBps and not my existing SSD for jails.

Once I can get this onto the jail ssd I have, I hope to copy my plex config over from the warden jail and restart plex to have everything migrated over.

Something tells me it's got something to do with the iocore activate command. It looks like that allows you to use a specific zpool. But since today's my first day even playing with it I can't help much more than that.

ryanakata

Explorer
Something tells me it's got something to do with the iocore activate command. It looks like that allows you to use a specific zpool. But since today's my first day even playing with it I can't help much more than that.

That actually works.

iocage activate jailssd
iocage fetch

My SSD is now being used as the iocage storage although I cannot get rid of the existing dataset on the USB for some reason.

Pentaflake

Explorer
Caught a typo.
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver_plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json

should be
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver-plexpass","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json

corrected
Trying to get Sonarr up and running, and not getting anywhere. It seems that starting the service fails (but without any logging). Starting the app with straight up /usr/local/share/NzbDrone # mono --debug NzbDrone.exe when I iocage console into the cage brings up a nice long list of information, after which the app starts running, but trying getting a status immediately after a iocage exec sonarr service sonarr start just shows it hasn't started.

I hope I messed up somewhere, but I straight copied and pasted the rc.d/sonarrr contents into nano. Any help would be appreciated.

I cutoff part of the lines copying over the sonarr/radarr steps. Either recreate the jail with the commands in the guide or run the following:
iocage exec sonarr chown -R sonarr:sonarr /config
iocage exec sonarr service sonarr start

snorbaard

Dabbler
Thanks for the help so far @Pentaflake !
It seems I've run into another snag. I just couldn't get the sonarr install to work. I kept getting errors. Now I know it's not supposed to work like this, but I decided to reboot my FreeNAS and try again.
Aaaand now none of the iocage-built instances have network access outside their jails. The SABNZBD jail works fine but the Plex, PlexPy and Organizr ones I've set up cannot.

Looking at the result of iocage get all plexpass, everything seems to be as it should (I think):
Code:
defaultrouter:192.168.1.1
host_hostname:plexpass
interfaces:vnet0:bridge0
ip4:new
ip4_addr:vnet0|192.168.1.120/24
ip4_saddrsel:1

In each cage the /etc/resolv.conf looks fine, with the DNS servers showing up (oddly, the gateway is last on the list, but putting it at the top didn't resolve anything).

But still, the instances can't see outside the network, with any ping showing
Code:
root@plexpass:~ # ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host

Traceroute shows
Code:
no route to host 
as well.

Is there something I need to do to kickstart the networking for the iocage instances?

snorbaard

Dabbler
I upgraded to the latest version of Plex (plexmediaserver-plexpass) using pkg update && pkg upgrade. I shutdown Plex before the upgrade and it seemed to work fine because now it says I'm up to date but in Plex it's still telling me version 1.10.1.4602 is available but that is the version in the repository (https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/).

Any idea what's going on?

@Wolfeman0101 check your /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf in the Plexpass cage. In my cage I noticed the updates were set to quarterly instead of latest. When I changed that and did a pkg upgrade I got the build that matched Freshports.

Pentaflake

Explorer
@Wolfeman0101 check your /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf in the Plexpass cage. In my cage I noticed the updates were set to quarterly instead of latest. When I changed that and did a pkg upgrade I got the build that matched Freshports.

Not sure what you did to cause the networking issue. As for this even with it set to latest I've seen it take a few days for it to be updated in the past. I'll considering it to the guide once I can test it after the next plex update.

Transmission with openvpn on iocage will be added an hour or so once I am off work and can rewrite that section.

Last edited: