Drive offline in Mirror all drives encrypted after 11.2 update (man Freenas is awesome but always scares me)

buffalosolja42

Dabbler
Hey guys I had a failed boot driver (usb will do regular drive soon). And I just updated to 11.2 on another and imported my setting no problem. But now it looks like one of my drives is offline after checking. I have tried to everything from GUI as it passes smart checks but still learning how to master Freenas. I am use to Netapp and Compellent via day job but love Freenas options. Any assistance would be greatly appreciate.

In addition any recommendations of why whenever I import my volume from a normal upgrade it always has issues what scares me.

Attachments

• degraded_cmd.png
    degraded_cmd.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 323
  • gui_online.png
    gui_online.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 303
A context, please. Describe your hardware and FreeNAS setup.

buffalosolja42

Dabbler
I have a Xeon with 10GB of RAM and 2 1TB drives.
Thanks for the extra info. Please do check out the basic forum guidelines. Specifically the part regarding providing details of your system. Take a look at folks' signatures around here and you'll get a sense of how detailed you might want to be with your build. Some of the details may seem superfluous but you never know when some small detail is important. For example, I might post something like the following along with my post to help get the quickest and best response.

FreeNAS Release: FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U2
Board: SuperMicro Motherboard X11SSM-F
Processor: Intel Core i3-7100
Memory: 32 GB, 2x16GB Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 DDR4-2666 ECC
HBA: LSI/Broadcom SAS9207-8i Firmware 20.00.07.00
Storage Pool 1: 1 vdev RAIDZ2
2x 7200RPM 3TB Seagate Constellation ST3000NM0033​
4x 5900ROM 3TB Seagate IronWolf NAS ST3000VN007​
Storage Pool 2 (encrypted): 1 vdev RAIDZ2:
3x 7200RPM 2TB mixed desktop drives​
3x 5900ROM 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS ST2000VN007​
Boot pool: 2 x 64GB SuperMicro SATA DOM SSD-DM064-SMCMVN1

But now it looks like one of my drives is offline after checking
It looks like you have a degraded pool which is set up as a mirror. Did you have any storage pools set up as a mirror? Or perhaps your boot pool?

buffalosolja42

Dabbler
Thanks for the extra info. Please do check out the basic forum guidelines. Specifically the part regarding providing details of your system. Take a look at folks' signatures around here and you'll get a sense of how detailed you might want to be with your build. Some of the details may seem superfluous but you never know when some small detail is important. For example, I might post something like the following along with my post to help get the quickest and best response.

FreeNAS Release: FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U2
Board: SuperMicro Motherboard X11SSM-F
Processor: Intel Core i3-7100
Memory: 32 GB, 2x16GB Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 DDR4-2666 ECC
HBA: LSI/Broadcom SAS9207-8i Firmware 20.00.07.00
Storage Pool 1: 1 vdev RAIDZ2
2x 7200RPM 3TB Seagate Constellation ST3000NM0033​
4x 5900ROM 3TB Seagate IronWolf NAS ST3000VN007​
Storage Pool 2 (encrypted): 1 vdev RAIDZ2:
3x 7200RPM 2TB mixed desktop drives​
3x 5900ROM 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS ST2000VN007​
Boot pool: 2 x 64GB SuperMicro SATA DOM SSD-DM064-SMCMVN1

It looks like you have a degraded pool which is set up as a mirror. Did you have any storage pools set up as a mirror? Or perhaps your boot pool?
Thanks I will update my signature I will get the specs I usually setup and don't upgrade too much but I have one system I use for learning ropes with that always kicks me. My signature may be long.....

My signature may be long.....
I use spoiler tags to hide a long signature. Also, consider that your build and therefore signature may change. It is appropriate to include in your post the build information as well so that in the future folks can see the build and parts that pertained to your question. Feel free to edit your original post with the additional info.

buffalosolja42

Dabbler
I use spoiler tags to hide a long signature. Also, consider that your build and therefore signature may change. It is appropriate to include in your post the build information as well so that in the future folks can see the build and parts that pertained to your question. Feel free to edit your original post with the additional info.
Done and done my friend :)

buffalosolja42

Dabbler
Thanks all the Freenas (4) in my signature is the one in question.

Thanks all the Freenas (4) in my signature is the one in question.
Great! Thanks for the extra info. I'm going to be a bit of a stickler and ask if you mind also posting the exact specs and model of the board, HDD, memory, etc in the post itself? That is helpful since your signature can change and someone looking at this in the future will want to see your system as it was when you had this issue. Exact model numbers are also preferred. For example, what motherboard are you using and what model drives?

Regarding your specific issue, if FreeNAS is reporting that your vdev is degraded that suggests that 1 of your drives is having an issue. You'll notice that ada1p2 is listed as offline. This is very likely to be the source of the issue. Are all of the cables firmly plugged in? A loose cable could cause this. Also, are you able to see the drive under Storage->disks? Alternatively, do you see the disk if you do smartctl -i /dev/ada1. If the drive has in fact failed for some reason you'll need to replace it.

Also, your specs list that you're using 2x1TB drives in RAIDZ1 however, RAIDZ1 requires a minimum of 3 disks. Your posted screen shot shows two drives in MIRROR, not RAIDZ1. You may find the User Guide helpful. Also check out this Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC