Does FreeNAS 11 come with a built in DLNA server

Hello,

I'm setting up a new media server and was thinking about using FreeNAS 11. But I couldn't find any information as to whether it comes with a DLNA server. If not, is there any other solution other than PLEX, which doesn't phone home in order for me to use it? Whatever solution I use, it will be completely isolated from the internet.

TIA!

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, nothing built in. Plex (which doesn't need to phone home, though it's getting harder to avoid that) implements DLNA, and I think Emby does as well; there are plugins for both of those. Or you could always install it yourself in a jail.

kdragon75

Wizard
Welcome to the forum! If you new to FreeNAS and ZFS I would strongly recommend running your hardware by us to be sure that everything meets the minimum requirements and that your data is safe!
It does not. You can set up a jail and install a DLNA package of your choosing. This would require internet at least for the setup and required some comfort with CLI.

4: danb35... Well my experience was different. I have a QNAP TS-563, I installed the PLEX prg from the QNAP site, and as soon as I tried to configure the server, it wanted access to the PLEX site, so I immediately uninstalled it. I'm spoiled, I started on the internet back in the days before everyone had their software phoning home. I don't trust any of them, even before Snowden's revelation.

4: kdragon75... I added my hardware list to my sig.

4: hervon... Sounds good, I'll check it out. I'm still new to Linux type OS's, but I understand that a jail is kind of like a sandbox on Windows, isolating a prg from the OS files, right? Root, in this case.

4: All three of you... Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it.

kdragon75

Wizard
HDD: (files) Western Digital (Red) 6TB x3 -RAID 5 Parity- 12TB total (WD60EFRX)
Is this a hardware RAID5 or individual drives setup in FreeNAS as a RAIDz1? This has cost a number of people all of their data. Those drive are also on the big side for a single drive redundancy but as its only 3 drives wide, the risk is somewhat less.

danb35

Hall of Famer
as soon as I tried to configure the server, it wanted access to the PLEX site, so I immediately uninstalled it.
...so you made no attempt to avoid signing up with Plex for an account, etc. I know it has been possible in the not-too-distant past; I haven't checked recently.

But be that as it may, you can use it or not, but it's one (plugin) way to get DLNA, and if the system isn't on the Internet at all there's really no way for it to phone home.

With a little bit of Googling, it does look like Emby supports DLNA as well, so that's another plugin way to do it. Emby's open-source and I don't believe there's any "phone home" capabilities there.

4: kdragon75... It's either going to be a hardware RAID5 if I don't go with FreeNAS, or the software ZFS RAID equivalent. This system is brand new, there is no data on and drives at this time, but be assured, I'll use a true backup system once they do.

4: danb35... I believe I tried it both ways, first without an account, then with one. Either way I got the impression that connecting to their site was going to be SOP. Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. It seemed that it wasn't going to let me use the program without it communicating with PLEX servers. I'll check out Emby as well, thanks. To me "phoning Home" is "any" task that isn't a direct result of me saying "do it!" ;-) Automation is sold as convenience for the user, yet it could be used as convenience for the software provider and their affiliates; a Trojan horse!

4: you two... Again, thanks for hanging with me.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
4: kdragon75... It's either going to be a hardware RAID5 if I don't go with FreeNAS, or the software ZFS RAID equivalent. This system is brand new, there is no data on and drives at this time, but be assured, I'll use a true backup system once they do.
Also be sure that the drives are passed through to the system in HBA mode aka IT mode. Sorry if this is common sense to you but many people are unfamiliar.

4: kdragon75... They are SATA III drives connected to the Intel C236 PCH Chipset. I was going to pass them to FreeNAS in AHCI mode, not RAID mode. Is that a problem?

kdragon75

Wizard
4: kdragon75... They are SATA III drives connected to the Intel C236 PCH Chipset. I was going to pass them to FreeNAS in AHCI mode, not RAID mode. Is that a problem?
Nope. Thats perfect.

Thanks Guys! You've gone above and beyond my original question, and that's great, as it helps to instill confidence, as I weigh the options building my first "simple home media-server."

Cheers!

saudansari968

Dabbler
Welcome to the forum! If you new to FreeNAS and ZFS I would strongly recommend running your hardware by us to be sure that everything meets the minimum requirements and that your data is safe!
It does not. You can set up a jail and install a DLNA package of your choosing. This would require internet at least for the setup and required some comfort with CLI.

I would like to set up a jail and install a DLNA package of my choosing. could you help with the steps or guide me a little bit...