will my TV see FreeNAS dlna

Status
Not open for further replies.

farreach84

Cadet
Hi,

Apology in advance for creating duplicate thread (if I have indeed)

I just couldn't find the one that answers my question and if someone can point me to the thread that does I'd be delighted to accept the suggestion as well.

So, I'm trying to setup a freenas torrent/dlna machine with my old atom230 pc

current internet connection in my aprtment is as below

isp - (0)hub - (1) iptv setbox - (1-1) wireless router - (1-1-1) pc, (1-1-2) samsung tv, (1-1-n) wireless devices
(2) hub - (2-1) pc, (2-2) freenas​
(3) open port​
(4) open port​

I'm having a rather hard time configuring transmission on 2-2 as it's keep saying that port is closed on every possible setting I can think of and found on the internet(but then again I'm a total noob on network and freeBSD and so on) and will probably replace 2 to another wireless router as my room and another room that sits across mine is getting weak signal from 1-1 in living room.

How does transmission fit into this change?

I've tested 2-2 with 1-1 (actually physically relocating 2-2 from my room to living room so that it became something like 1-1-3) and transmission and dlna was working so I could watch videos on 1-1-2 using dlna.

Transmission also worked when I tried 1-1 in place of 2. (did not switch 1-1 and 2, just yanked the hell out of 1-1 and stuck in 2's place so wasn't able to test dlna that time)

Tested 2-2 on 2's place and still no luck (even reinstalling the plugin didn't work)

But my previous experience with using/mixing multiple routers and hubs in an office environment where I could not share folders among PCs has got me thinking that I might get transmission working but not dlna.

So will replacing 2 with new wireless router block my 1-1-2 from connecting to 2-2 via dlna?

About transmission port, how's it possible for transmission to function w/o port problem when freenas goes through wireless router while hub is quite a hassle??

Does wireless router automatically forward from open port to transmission's port? So that isp would see my freenas port activity as a valid open port activity even though they blocked all other ports?

But then my PC(2-1)'s torrent activity isn't quite justifiable as it's been always hooked up via hub (whether it be through 0 or 2)

My boot screen of freenas tells me there's something wrong the mdns responder? might have to reboot the device but does that have something to do with whole transmission hassle?

One might suggest replacing 0 to wireless router and then using 1-1 and 2 with hub but I found 1 is quite a hassle to work with wireless routers (and engineers from isp, whom by the way is also the provider for iptv setbox, also tells me to have 1 above of 1-1)

Plus the terminal box that house 0 is quite limited in space so anything bigger than 5port 'palm sized' hub is out of question. Which also means weaker signal.

fracai

Guru
Your wireless router (1-1) is likely creating a separate network that everything else on the hub (2) cannot access, either because of routing or a NAT firewall.

I would keep the router where it is, but connect the hub to the after the router, or just connect freenas directly to the router.

Another solution would be to put the router into bridge mode so that it's just providing wireless access to the network provided by the iptv set top box. Though, the iptv may still block access.

The most complicated solution would be to set up routing rules and open ports on the router to allow other devices to access the router's network. This may not be possible depending on how the iptv is configured.

farreach84

Cadet
Thanks for the input, fracai:)

Putting Hub under the router (in terms of level not physical placement) is not possible
as the currnt placement(physical) of those two, according to my plan, puts them far apart.
[far end of livingroom <---------------> corner of my room away from the door]
and I can't afford that much of a wire work (not as in money but as in interior aspect of the apartment)

Having router into bridge mode is not an option as others living around woud have access to the internet via my router:(
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding security on brige mode of router.
To the best of my knowledge ( at least with the router I have ) bridge mode does not provide security option for the wifi

My idea was to have my FreeNAS in my room as both torrent machine and dlna server
and watching shows from my FreeNAS rig on TV via dlna is really tempting
but the fact minidlna not scanning the contents automatically is really...erm...let down....
plus he physical challege of creating network has led me to not pursue the idea afterall...
I'm not saying I'm going to forget about it all together, I'm just gonna sit out this idea until I see a decent chance in the future....
and I guess I'll just wait and see if the solution for autoscan (stable one at that) will be provided in future updates

Yes, I've searched on the solutions myself for minidlna autoscan but they seem rather complicated and when I apply those methods my rig began throwing errors because of those solutions.

third option you mentioned require access to the iptv set top box settings but my isp would not allow me
(contacted and confirmed)

guess I'll replace current (1-1) with better router for wifi signal strength throughout my apartment and place that current (1-1) into (2) to make my freenas rig for purely running transmission

agian, thanks for your input, really appreciate it!

Yatti420

Wizard
MiniDLNA scanning is a WIP.. If you would like to test the newest pbi let me know.. I should have a version here somewhere..

I use vimage in my MiniDLNA jail.. It just seems to work..

farreach84

Cadet
Thanks Yatti420,

I'm such a noob and actually don't have a clue as to what you said( problem with jargons )
but am guessing that you're suggesting this current scanning state of MiniDLNA as default is caused by different types of......erm.....scanning method??
and you have a modified package posted somewhere in this forum, right?

well, I actually don't mind fiddling with my rigs, so why not ;)

Any help is more than welcome at this point as I begin learning the system :)

perhaps I'll just go ahead and google for your modified package.....although my googling skill is really at the bottom.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.