Can't Access Internet Over Bridged Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrsausage

Cadet
I have a TP-Link router serving as my wireless adapter since I was having issues getting the FreeNAS drivers working with my Atheros wireless PCIe network card (the ath driver is supposed to support my chipset but it doesn't seem to want to play nicely). The TP-Link router is running DD-WRT and I have it set up in client mode as a bridge. That way I can connect my server via its ethernet port to the client router and receive the juicy EM radiation the AT&T router is pumping out in the neighboring room.

While playing around with settings I ran into an interesting problem. The server is able to resolve domain names but unable to communicate with the outside domains. For instance, pinging www.google.com:

Code:
ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com (74.125.196.99): 56 data bytes                             
^C                                                                             
--- www.google.com ping statistics ---                                         
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Occasionally it will spit out a "Destination host unreachable" error... which is neither here nor there. As you can see the DNS lookup is able to associate an IP address to www.google.com but the server's NIC isn't receiving any of the returned packets. Here is my network configuration:

Gateway Router:

Client (Bridge) Router:

Server:

The server's network configuration looks like this (though I've tried other settings to no avail, including setting nameserver and default gateway to the client router IP).

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Nameserver 1: 192.168.1.254

Traceroute spits out:

Code:
traceroute www.google.com                                       
traceroute: Warning: www.google.com has multiple addresses; using 173.194.219.10
5                                                                               
traceroute to www.google.com (173.194.219.105), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets   
1  * DD-WRT (192.168.1.123)  0.385 ms !N *                                     
2  * DD-WRT (192.168.1.123)  0.371 ms !N *                                     
3  * DD-WRT (192.168.1.123)  0.325 ms !N *                                     
4  * DD-WRT (192.168.1.123)  0.329 ms !N *                                     
5  * DD-WRT (192.168.1.123)  0.329 ms !N *                                     
6  DD-WRT (192.168.1.123)  0.353 ms !N *  0.401 ms !N

I'm no networking or FreeNAS expert by any means so if I could get some help with this issue it would be greeeeaaaat.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks like your networking setup had gotten to complicate for your own good. I would change your freenas servers nameserver to not be your gateway. Make it 8.8.8.8 for testing until you know your gateway resolves and forwards dns requests correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pschatz100

Guru
If your networking is set up properly, you ought to be able to ping a site such as www.google.com. The statistics should show packets sent and received. Packets sent but not received indicates a problem and a "Destination host unreachable" error is NOT neither here nor there. It means something is not communicating properly.

FreeNAS supports multiple nameservers. Nameserver 1 can be your gateway router. I would set Nameserver 2 to be a nameserver provided by your host service. You can try 8.8.8.8 as has been previously suggested - it is one of Google's name servers.

Be aware that bridging access points can be a little tricky. It may not be possible to discover your networked media sources if UPnP is not supported across the bridge. Some versions of DD-WRT have it enabled and some do not (it varies with the hardware.) If you don't know what this means, search on the web. A detailed discussion is beyond the scope of this forum.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.