Disks/Pool Not Importing After New 9.3 Thumb Drive Install - SORT OF????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landon

Dabbler
Hey everyone, I am somewhat wet behind the ears at this so please bare with me. So I had a FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 server running forever and running great. However I wanted to upgrade to 9.3 but my thumb drive that holds the OS was too small. I copied my config file from under General tab (for safety). So I installed FreeNAS on a new 16GB thumb drive and everything appears to be okay. However, when I login to the GUI to Import my previous volume, I get this little gem during Import:

3148bpk.jpg

So then I attempt to import the disks since the volume is not seen: I get this...

2luzwxd.jpg

So I then decided, okay I saw a post about some manual import and status check; let me try that. This is what I see...

29w4bvb.jpg

35bdwkk.jpg

So at this point I am upset because I can't get it to do jack. So I went back to Storage to view the disks to see if FreeNAS even sees my disks. It does see them...

2wfizgh.jpg

So why the heck can't I get them to show correctly with 9.3 so I don't lose my data? Any advice is def. appreciated!

Landon

Dabbler
Okay well apparently, 9.3 has some different GUI changes from 9.2.1.7. I found a post about running through the wizard so I ran through that and it asks me if I want to name my Volume, so I name it and complete the wizard and the new share does show in the GUI however it does not show like it used to. In 9.2.1.7, you could view the disks in the volume by clicking the little arrow next to the volume:

Volume5h.png

However in this new 9.3, that feature is not present and apparently the wizard auto-detected my volume and created it with the volume name I gave it...

9iwba9.jpg

I was able to reboot my machines and it detected the new volumes without issue after I imported my config file. Well I guess I answered my own question but I was curious if we could request that feature to return in 9.3 because its handy to see the associated disks to the volumes like it was before.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Like this?

2015-02-26_12h51_45.png

If that wasn't still around lots of people would freak out. Can't offline or replace disks without that window.

To get that, go to storage, click on the pool, then click the volume status button at the bottom of the windoow.

D

dlavigne

Did you import the volume? The zpool status you showed was only showing the boot device, not your disks.

Landon

Dabbler
No, I did all the steps I mentioned in the first post to try and import but nothing worked except for whatever reason the import wizard I used asked me to create a volume, i typed in a name for it and somehow its finding my drives even though I didn't specify the disks because I am able to access all my data on them right now (watching a movie on it actually) so I am confused as hell as to what happened or is happening with this.

D

dlavigne

Which is why I wanted to clarify. If you create a volume, it reformats the drives. Very different from importing! I'm still confused as to where you're at....

Landon

Dabbler
Yeah I am confused as hell also...let me record up a quick video capture. (Over an hr later and YouTube is still processing it - sorry for the delay and I will update as soon as it completes)

Last edited:

Landon

Dabbler

Here is the video of exactly what I did...The only thing I did after all of this was import my config file and reboot the server as mentioned to be the order to complete.

Landon

Dabbler
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                 
  pool: freenas-boot                                                           
state: ONLINE                                                                 
  scan: none requested                                                         
config:                                                                        

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                 
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                               
          da4p2     ONLINE       0     0     0                                 

errors: No known data errors                                                   
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import                                                 
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist                                           
<WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 80.00A80>    at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)       
<Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 JKAOA28A>  at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (ada1,pass1)      
<Generic- Compact Flash 1.00>      at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass2)        
<Generic- SM/xD-Picture 1.00>      at scbus5 target 0 lun 1 (da1,pass3)        
<Generic- SD/MMC 1.00>             at scbus5 target 0 lun 2 (da2,pass4)        
<Generic- MS/MS-Pro/HG 1.00>       at scbus5 target 0 lun 3 (da3,pass5)        
<SanDisk Ultra 1.00>               at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (da4,pass6)        
[root@freenas ~]#  

Landon

Dabbler
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# gpart list                                                                                                       
Geom name: da4                                                                                                                     
modified: false                                                                                                                    
state: OK                                                                                                                          
fwheads: 255                                                                                                                       
fwsectors: 63                                                                                                                      
last: 30375902                                                                                                                     
first: 34                                                                                                                          
entries: 128                                                                                                                       
scheme: GPT                                                                                                                        
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: da4p1                                                                                                                     
   Mediasize: 524288 (512k)                                                                                                        
   Sectorsize: 512                                                                                                                 
   Stripesize: 0                                                                                                                   
   Stripeoffset: 17408                                                                                                             
   Mode: r0w0e0                                                                                                                    
   rawuuid: d790e61a-bdd7-11e4-9226-00262dd1562d                                                                                   
   rawtype: 21686148-6449-6e6f-744e-656564454649                                                                                   
   label: (null)                                                                                                                   
   length: 524288                                                                                                                  
   offset: 17408                                                                                                                   
   type: bios-boot                                                                                                                 
   index: 1                                                                                                                        
   end: 1057                                                                                                                       
   start: 34                                                                                                                       
2. Name: da4p2                                                                                                                     
   Mediasize: 15551913984 (14G)                                                                                                    
   Stripesize: 0                                                                                                                   
   Stripeoffset: 544768                                                                                                            
   Mode: r1w1e1                                                                                                                    
   rawuuid: d79aa4ca-bdd7-11e4-9226-00262dd1562d                                                                                   
   rawtype: 516e7cba-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b                                                                                   
   label: (null)                                                                                                                   
   length: 15551913984                                                                                                             
   offset: 544768                                                                                                                  
   type: freebsd-zfs                                                                                                               
   index: 2                                                                                                                        
   end: 30375895                                                                                                                   
   start: 1064                                                                                                                     
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: da4                                                                                                                       
   Mediasize: 15552479232 (14G)                                                                                                    
   Mode: r1w1e2                                                                                                                    

[root@freenas ~]#

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm no expert with gpart, but it looks like your two disks don't have any partition table on them at all. You're sure these are the disks you used with 9.2.1.7? Did you use ZFS or UFS? And you weren't using any kind of RAID controller then?

Landon

Dabbler
Nothing changed in my server other than swapping out the 9.2.1.7 with 9.3.(upgraded from an old 2GB thumb drive to a new 16GB thumb drive because the OS was installed on a thumb drive and not the hard drive). These are the same hard drives and everything. They were configured as ZFS using RAID1 (I have two 2TB hard drives, striped to appear as one 2TB drive). I do not have any external RAID controller or anything like that. Everything was done in FreeNAS.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should backup everything and rebuild your pool. Something is really messed up. What gets me is that your size in the GUI is not being displayed correctly.

On a side note you shouldn't be sharing your root directory. You should only share sub directories or datasets.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Umm.. your WebGUI is all hosed, and you look like you have only 6GB of RAM. The minimum RAM is 8GB. When you don't have that much RAM the WebGUI goes to crap and does all sorts of totally fubared things because the python scripts that run in the background terminate improperly when you run out of RAM.

So yeah, upgrade your RAM to at *least* 8GB of RAM, then talk to me. ;)

Landon

Dabbler
Hmm...that is a good point. My machine has 8GB of RAM in it so i wonder if one of my RAM sticks is bad (4 x 2GB DDR3 ECC 12800 RAM). I will get that swapped out tomorrow and update you all accordingly.

Landon

Dabbler
Wow...I am a serious douche! I never logged back in to explain what had happened. So I took the advice 'cyberjock' mentioned to me and I upgraded my RAM from 6GB to 16GB (only needed 8GB but a little extra never hurt) and I still had the same issues in that I could access everything but it was not appearing in the GUI correctly. So I had decided it was just a glitch and was going to leave it be but then I found the real problem.

A few weeks later, after adding new TV shows, pictures, etc. to it, I was moving over a new movie I had to the drive and it told me 'not enough space'. I was like WTF???? I knew damn well that the NAS had 2 x 2TB drives mirrored (meaning I only see 2TB total) and I was only using roughly 900GB so I knew I had plenty of space left. So after looking at my 'df -h and du -c' outputs, I saw that it could see both drives but they were both capped off at roughly at about 1TB.

So something happened in the transition from 9.2.1.7 to 9.3 that borked my drive spacing not permitting me to go over 1TB when each drive has 2TB. So I removed the volume and attempted a rediscover and what do you know - it could no longer see or find the volume. From that point I said, OKAY, F-THIS! So I ended up in the shell doing a mount of my ada0 drive, offloaded all my data to an external drive, wiped my disks, create a new volume and then moved everything back over and its finally working the way it should.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas, pointers and assistance. You guys all were right! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.